Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi.. I'm new.. and terrified and in need of help

Hi.. I'm new.. and terrified and in need of help

I am so glad I found this site.
    My name is Steph - I'm 22 and have suffered with anxiety my whole life. It started with seperation anxiety as a very young child, and I now have OCD, GAD and Panic Disorder. I was midiagnosed with ADHD as a child and it took them two years before they figured out that it was actually anxiety.

Lately, my anxiety has been out of control.
    About five weeks ago, I had a health scare - I had some symptoms that led me to believe I had colon cancer. I went to the doctor, who did an examination and found nothing. He gave me a take home test to do, but I never did it - I was too afraid. The symptoms were horrible - mostly abdominal pain. I woke up with it daily.
    Shortly after that, I started thinking I didn't have colon cancer, but I must have SOMETHING else horrible. I think I went from HIV (I've only ever had sex with one person, and never unprotected), to appendicitis to.. I can't even remember. Just everything.

Lately, I've been obsessed with a brain tumor.
    It started with some vertigo and balance problems. I went to the doctor who told me it was probably labrynthitis. I didn't believe him. As time went on, I felt some facial numbness on the right half of my face, and then some numbness in my right arm and slight sensations in my left arm. After having continuous panic attacks for days (and googling to no end.) I broke down and begged my poor boyfriend (who has been dealing with this nonstop for weeks now.) to take me to the emergency room.

After waiting for five hours, I was told that this was due to stress and anxiety. I specifically asked the doctor about a brain tumor and he did some tests - no scans, just an exam. He told me straight out "this is not a brain tumor." I even asked him if he was sure. He said he was sure enough that he wasn't going to order a scan and that there was no need to "radiate my brain".

I felt better that night, but the next day it all came back. The strange sensations have now spread to my right leg as well. My motor skills are fine, they're just feelings that I have. I don't believe that anxiety can cause such strong physical symptoms no matter how many people tell me it can. My boyfriend tries so hard to tell me that it's stress, but my reaction is "how does he know?" I logic myself into not believeing the doctor because "misdiagnosis happens."

Aside from the weird sensations/numbness on the right side of my body, my memory hasn't been as good, I'm having a bit of trouble remembering the right words (but it comes back to me in less than two seconds) and I still have some vertigo.

I'm just at my wits end. I cannot continue to live my life like this. I am in a constant state of panic and anxiety. Can anxiety really cause one sided numbness like this? Can these symptoms really just be anxiety?
    I am currently trying to book an appointment with my old psychaitrist who I haven't seen in over a year, but meanwhile I am just in horrible shape. I see a brain tumor commercial and I think it's a sign. I feel the tiniest sense of ANYTHING and I assume it's connected. My friend just told me a story about a friend of hers' sister who had a tumor and would've died if she had waited even a week longer to go to the hospital. This all just makes everything worse.

I'm too scared to go to another doctor. asides from the fact that everyone in my life is telling me that I'm being ridiculous. I just.. need help. I don't believe that anxiety can cause this - how can anxiety cause these sensations on only one side? I really feel like I'm going to have a seizure and die any second.

Steph

I think one of the reasons I refuse to believe the doctor is because a good friend of mine.. her father had a brain tumor. He was paralyzed on one side. He went to the emergency room of the same hospital I went to, and the doctor told him it was nothing and to go home. I don';t think it was the same doctor as my doctor was not at all dismissive and did the examination, but it just proves that misdiagnosis CAN happen. My friends father had to fight for hours to get another doctor, who did a CT scan and found a brain tumor.

Also, I don't get headaches, but I think I have a frontal lobe tumor which doesn't list headaches as a symptom.

Steph

Hey Steph,

Boy, have you found the right place!! Welcome to NMP!!

In this site you will find lots of help, advice and support. You will also find a stack of folks who can relate 100% to what you have said. Whilst I haven't had the health scares that you describe others will be able to discuss that.

I can see and feel your anxiety however, and from what you say understand where it is coming from.

I see you have posted in two or three areas, "admins" in those areas will sort out some links for you.

There are a growing number of folks from across the pond in here and it won't be long before the chat area is 24/7, it can be very useful.

Take care Steph, remember you are not alone in here.

Iain

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Steph

sorry to hear of your troubles. First and foremost....STOP GOOGLING. I know..I've done it and have diagnosed myself with everything and still think that somewhere there is something seriously wrong with me. Your anxiety can cause all the physical symptoms you've described and more but I know how hard this is to accept. Stick around and listen to the stories of so many people here and it will only help you to know that there are many like us.

Take care

Sean

HI Steph,

A BIG warm welcome to you, lovely to see you here, im sure you will get some great advice here while making new friends on the way.

Love

Andrea
    xxxx

"If you have a worry turn it into a problem, you cant solve worrys but you can solve problems"

hi steph, i used to have panic attacks a lot i went to cbt and that sorted me out i now know how to deal with them when i feel one coming on just now though i have been feeling awful as i am in the middle of buying my house and the stress haws made me feel anxious again i tooo right now have been feeling light headed and offf balancefor the past 5 days now i remember i used to feel like this when i was stressed before i too feel like im fighting to keep myself from having a fit honestly you are fine your symptoms that you are having just now sound ex actally like what im going through just now and it is panic it can do some strange things when you are constantly worrying about certain things if you need to speak to me pm me any time hope you feel better soon dont worry doll you will be fine xxx

Hi steph,I have been exactly where you are pet.All your symptoms are down to anxiety.Its taken me 22 years to find this out myself.You have come to the right place,and will get lots of support here.And yes these symptoms can all be anxiety.I do feel for you,and you will get better.
    Take care.

Ellen XX

Hello Steph

I am so glad you have found NMP. I was a confident, outgoing 53 business woman with a management degree and was pretty happy. Six weeks ago I started panic attacks - severe palpitations, dreadful insomnia, shivers, sweats, fear of leaving the house, etc. Whilst I am now on beta blockers and sleeping tablets, I have found this website an absolute godsend; beginning to understand my attacks, finding people who can offer ways of dealing with the attacks, and sharing thoughts and feelings is such a help. Knowing I am not the only person experiencing the attacks and that it isn't really anything 'life-threatening' has made the problem so much more bearable.

You certainly sound as though you need a tremendous amount of support and I am sure NMP can contribute to that support. The First Steps pages are really VERY helpful.

Thinking of you - please take care.

Sandie

Hi Steph,

A big warm welcome to you.

Take Care

Mandyxx

hi steph

You've found the right place. I sometimes get funny sensations in my head and arms etc so you are not alone

Linda xx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information