Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PTSD from Panic Attack

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

PTSD from Panic Attack

Hi im just wondering if many users had such a bad/traumatic first panic attack, that it has now led to PTSD?

Re: PTSD from Panic Attack

Well, it almost went that way for me. But slowly I decided to rather go for a positive attitude about the pts and maybe could safe myself of it developing into a disorder. My first Panic attack led to my husband calling the ambulance and they took me to hospital. Very traumatic! For a while I could not even hear the ambulances without feeling panic arising. It is hard work not to let it develop into an issue. But I think I managed. Thanks to much of the help I got here and on nothingworks.

Good question I think allot of us will think not but if every one took a good long look they prob would say yes it as made or led to PTSD its pretty hard not to have become this after a frightening attack stake care x

PTSD most often causes hallucinatory flashbacks and problems with memory and disociation. Some people believe they have PTSD when they may not, you shouldn't think so without speaking to a psychiatrist. That is a different kettle of fish to panic disorder and would need to be daignosed. I have not heard of it arising from panic as it is usually caused by a near death experience but that I can't confirm.

AND
    'AV A
    PASTY

well I presumed I was going to die when when my chest muscles constricted and I thought it was my heart panic ontop of panic its traumatised me isnt that the same thing? just out interest

I can see where you are coming from but having a panic attack you thought was a heart attack is on a different level to experiencing an earthquake, a car crash or murder/rape at knifepoint. Your mind I would imagine could process a panic attack easier than one of these. PTSD and panic disorder are quite different, best to check with a psychiatric professional

AND
    'AV A
    PASTY

As a psych senior with a view to clinical, I think it's possible (sorry I could research properly but don't have time atm). Many people with panic disorder do experience some symptoms of PTSD, as panic disorder by nature involves some emotional and physical trauma, building an intense fear of another episode. Full-blown PTSD would be rare, but it would be possible from a very severe attack where you really thought you would die. I myself have significant elements of PTSD from health problems.

I have recently been diagnosed with PTSD and suffer awful flashbacks and have nightmares most nights amongst other symptoms and this in turn has led to me also having panic disorder, Im currently awaiting therapy for my PTSD. Panic attacks are awful and they certainly knock your confidence and leave you petrified as to if your going to have another but i don't think they cause PTSD but they certainly leave you shaken up especially after a bad one like you've described x x

hi since my first panic attack ive suffered chronic anxiety symptoms I relive the scenario, infacts its all I think about unless ive had a few beers and its played havoc with my digestive system, it also jacked up my BP through fear, what would a ptsd victim suffer any differently? I understand they may have nightmares etc and wake up in sweats I don't tbf

PTSD is diagnosed to people that have suffered a severe trauma in their life causing anxiety, panic, flashbacks, nightmares, hot sweats etc, i used to be so bad id physically be sick every morning, i wake every night in a hot sweat after awful nightmares, don't get me wrong panic attacks are truly awful and leave you an emotional wreck but panic disorder is alot easier to treat than PTSD, Im on medication but currently awaiting intense trauma therapy x x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information