Thread: Anxiety or something more sinister?

Anxiety or something more sinister?

Hello guys, hope you're having a great day.

About 5/6 months ago I took a high dosage of ecstasy and since then I've been battling anxiety. I've not taken any drugs since, I'm eating pretty well and my symptoms have got much, much better. I'm proud of the progress I have made but I've hit a stumbling block. I just need some advice on how to beat the latest hurdle I'm facing.

Ok, so most of January and February I have felt fine. I operated normally, was very happy and didn't pay much attention to my health. However since this weekend I have been experiencing physical symptoms that are causing me anxiety and inability to sleep.

Here's a breakdown of the physical symptoms: rapid heart and pulsing sensation in my central chest, pulsing sensation in the ear and a feeling that the ear is "full" and closing up, a sort of "outer-body" feeling that nothing is real, odd zaps and pulses in my head.

My main worry is that I've caused permanent brain damage from the drug, or the brain zaps and outer body feelings are some sort of seizure . I haven't seen a doctor in 3-4 months because I have been fine and she always puts it all down to anxiety. But I'm not completely convinced any more. I'm not really anxious these days, I just get anxious when I experience these symptoms from out of nowhere.

Any general advice and help would be really appreciated. Thank you for reading, have a nice day!

PS I'm stressed with uni work and overthinking about an ex girlfriend because we have started talking again. Could this be a catalyst for my symptoms because I've only stressed about this since March?

Re: Anxiety or something more sinister?

I had this experience after using marijuana. I really believe it was the beginning of my anxiety disorder. The out of body experience you are describing is derealization. We all experience this, its terrifying I know. The rapid heartbeat is caused my panic. I went to the doctor to get a full exam. You should do the same just to be sure. No more drugs! They are very harmful especially for those of us with anxiety. I learned my lesson. I took Zoloft to calm down, the doctor may suggest the same. It will get better, it just takes time.

Quote Originally Posted by RoseEve View Post
    I had this experience after using marijuana. I really believe it was the beginning of my anxiety disorder. The out of body experience you are describing is derealization. We all experience this, its terrifying I know. The rapid heartbeat is caused my panic. I went to the doctor to get a full exam. You should do the same just to be sure. No more drugs! They are very harmful especially for those of us with anxiety. I learned my lesson. I took Zoloft to calm down, the doctor may suggest the same. It will get better, it just takes time.
    Thanks RoseEve, yeah they really do knock you out. I'm 100times better today. I think it's just the stress of uni and love getting to me. Glad I'm not the only one out there who get derealization, I convinced myself I was going insane, was rather scary. I might address the doctor about my brain zaps/fear of having a seizure but I don't think I will unless it persists

Yeah it is really scary. I truly thought I was going insane as well. During an extreme panic attack most people either think they are dying or going insane. I would ask the doctor. I've never had a brain zap but I know many people on here have.

Thread Information