Thread: Up days, down days... is this expected?

Up days, down days... is this expected?

Hi everyone,

I started fluoxetine 3 and a half weeks ago, having switched from sertraline because although it helped my anxiety I had really bad side-effects and it didn't touch my depression.

After about 10 days on the fluoxetine people started telling me they could see a difference in me that they couldn't pin down and I started to feel much more like myself. After about another week I found that my sleep patterns have gone back to something near normal (having been totally messed up for almost a year), I have actually had energy, been hopeful for the future, and felt some enjoyment again.

However a couple of days ago I felt depressed and tired again, then I was fine yesterday, and today again I feel inexplicably low and tearful. Does this mean that the initial seeming efficacy of the fluoxetine is wearing off or wasn't actually due to the medication, or is this sort of seeming step backwards expected? I would love to hear from anyone who has an opinion.

All the best,
    Stella x

Re: Up days, down days... is this expected?

Hi Stella, it is a very up and down road for the first few weeks and it does take at least 6 to 8 weeks to work for some people, I had a really bad time even more 4-5 weeks was even worse but then I started to feel better and had more better days than bad, it was worth it although I did not think so when I was going through it. just try and take it one day at a time.

I found with sertraline I felt amazing the first week, like on a real high, and that's calmed for me now. Fluoxetine just made me sick.

Thank you Janine, that is very reassuring. For the record, since I posted this I have had another string of good days, so I definitely think the fluoxetine helps me.

Lucy, that is interesting, that is pretty much the exact opposite of my experience I do find it fascinating how people can have such different reactions to the same medication.

Yeah I do think its interesting how it affects us all differently. My mum has been on fluoxetine for years, says she doesn't feel like herself without it. I think I have been on sertraline for around 6 months and after trying fluoxetine and citalopram, this is the best one for me so far. X

Thread Information