Thread: Self Help

Self Help

Good (early) morning folks,

I haven't posted here for quite a long time, I've been thinking lately that I'm very good at giving advice but not too good at taking it.

I'm no where near better yet, but when I do get better i plan on going to college & university to become a qualified counsellor / therapist, ideally I want to help people in my situation.

Like I say I'm no where near better but I'd like to give advice where and when I can, If I don't have the answers I'd research them correctly (not medical advice).

I've been through CBT & I'm currently doing it again so I understand the inner workings of panic / anxiety.

I've made various documents for me to keep a log of progress too which I'd be willing to share.

I suffer from anxiety / panic & agoraphobia.

I'm pretty tired here so couldn't of possibly just blabbed on here but I hope it all makes sense.

Hopefully we can create a network of people in similar situations trying the same / similar techniques & pulling each other through the bad times and applaud each other on achieving certain mileatones.

Cam

Re: Self Help

Hi Cameron,

Have you looked at the BACP training routes? They seem comprehensive and CBT therapists on the NHS, like mine, suggest that is the place to look for private therapists. They seem to be well endorsed by the NHS.

I know they have progression routes online so it might be worth looking at.

Also, some mental health charities receive funding for their volunteer coordinators at Level 2 for running user groups. There is one in my area. My CBT therapist actually came via that route and I have spoken to some who want to use it as stepping stone. They said it helped them too and wasnt too demanding while they were working on their issues.

Hi Terry,

I've been discussing it with my CBT therapist as well as discussing it with MIND, unfortunately I need to do my 'test the city' first to get the necessary qualifications to enrol on an access to counselling course, then I'd move on to a foundation degree & then B A honours from there.

In my darkest days I found it incredibly hard to be able to get doctors / therapists etc to come to my home with my agoraphobia which is the main thing making me want to do this as I know it's incredibly frustrating.

Ive always wondered how people access CBT in that scenario. I dont recall the local service offering it, I never saw anything in their literature as an option.

All the best with it...this country needs a lot more people like you!

I'm currently having CBT whilst being agoraphobic, my therapist offered a few home based sessions on the basis that after a few we'd do them at another location, slightly worried about that but I'm ready for the fight!

I was a volunteer for MIND many years ago, and would offer advice about withdrawing from tranquilisers as i'd been through it myself. I was a voice at the end of the phone...no computers in those days (gawd im old!) Keep strong, you'll get there and always remember that sufferers make the best therapists. Best wishes.

Thats very true.

Add professional training to unique experience and you are a complete package.

Doctors dont know what a broken leg is unless they have had one. So, in thinking normal levels of emotional turmoil can be used to understand how anxiety & depression suffers is like comparing a muscle sprain to a break.

I can sympathise, my GAD made me retreat and it was very hard to get used to going & being out and thats not as hard as your issues with going outside.

Has your therapist shown you the duration and pattern of panic?

I believe she has terry, it's my second time around of doing CBT, if you have a link to what you mean ill have a look.

Cam

I can't seem to find one via Google.

There is a .PPT file in this link. Slide 46 is a bit like what I saw. I know she showed me one, but I can't find mine either.

I remember that it shot up very quickly but then reduced until about another 20 minutes where it would increase again. So, I think it could be likened to the Exposure Therapy chart on this slide.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...aSaGZ5_xZ2rDtA

Found something similiar.

It looked like this except it decreased more sharply from the first peak and the next peak was where the 20 minute mark is on here. On this one they are applying various stimuli throughout hence the multiple peaks which were not present on the one I saw.

http://travisithompson.blogspot.co.u...aign-stop.html

Thread Information