Thread: Increasing Citalopram dose side-effects

Increasing Citalopram dose side-effects

Two weeks ago I upped my citalopram dose from 20-25mg, following an unpleasant life event. I wanted to share my experience because even the smallest increase (in my case by 25%) can have some major and at some points, unbearable side effects. But remember, these are temporary!

Main symtoms:
    - My anxiety levels have rocketed, taking the form of a more generalised anxiety rather than social anxiety, of which I was originally diagnosed. My heart for much of the day beats much more rapidly, often without any trigger event. I also often feel like crying for no real reason.

- Getting to sleep is usually okay. But I have woken up at 5-6am almost every day with almost panic attack level anxiety and almost unbearable and torturous emotional pain. My mind focuses and obsesses on the most unpleasant aspect of the things happening in my life right now. Things which are bound to cause me stress and anxiety, but I have broadly rationally dealt with and come to conclusions about. Such anxiety is still present when I wake up again.

- I have woken up a few times with my entire body is a sweat. But my palms seem to sweat pretty much non-stop.

When previously upping my citalopram, I had the identical issues. They are incredibly hard to deal with at the time, because no matter how much you rationalise your issues, or tell yourself that they are a temporary side-effect of upping the dose, they are very much physical and uncontrollable.

It is also incredibly hard to distinguish what pain you are dealing with can be naturally attributed to the events themselves and what are merely made worse by the dosage.

It is so important to keep reminding yourself of the impact of the dosage, and that the pain and anxiety is not a reflection of your actual mental state.

I hope this helps others!

Re: Increasing Citalopram dose side-effects

I totally agree with you. I've reduced to 10MG over the last couple of months and it's been tough on my body. At times i felt so ill i did wonder whether i had done the right thing. Every day i feel off i just tell myslf that it will pass and it's only the dose adjustment .

This really helped me , I've just been upped to 40mg and day 14 was awful , keep telling myself it's side effects but it's sometimes hard to convince yourself with all theses thoughts running around . Been told I need to give it at least 4 weeks to see the improvement , it ain't easy , but what choice do I have ! X

Ask for propanalol, this helps to lessen the physical symptoms

This all sounds worryingly familiar!

It really is a journey.

Life is a roller coaster...you just gotta ride it a day at a time
    (Cit 40mg)

Update

Its been able 10 weeks since I upped my dose, and virtually all the side-effects I mentioned have pretty much gone. Still get anxiety at times, but I can tell its (somewhat) more rational that the random and temperamental anxiety from the dose increase. I don't fear sleeping anymore from the sweats or obsessive thoughts, which is a-ma-zing, as that can be particularly exhausting.

I kept telling myself it would ware off (and so should anyone in the same position). Its beyond horrific when you're in the deep end of it, but try your hardest to look at it objectively as a life experience, and one that'll make you exceptionally wiser in the future.

‘Sorrow is knowledge, those that know the most must mourn the deepest, the tree of knowledge is not the tree of life.’

'The great art of life is sensation, to feel that we exist, even in pain.’

Lord Byron
    Last edited by AgainstAllOdds; 14-05-14 at 17:59.

SarahH is offline Most Naughty-ish Member Ever

Good update..... it shows that SE's do pass with time.

sarah

SarahH is offline Most Naughty-ish Member Ever

Talking of SE's..I have upped my dose to 15mgs in the last week and getting some strange pains in my ribs, upper back and chest. They are random all over the place and come and go... does those sound familiar to anyone? As I am sat here now the pains are on my left upper back and right rib cage...but this could change throughout the day. Its uncomfortable rather than crippling pain.... has anyone else had this as a SE on Citalopram?

I had pains on different parts of the body, back, neck, legs, arms, anything you want, but. I dont know if its cit or sth else, i give up.

Thread Information