Thread: IBS aggravated by travelling?

IBS aggravated by travelling?

Hi guys,

I got diagnosed with IBS about six months ago, and while I'm pretty good at managing it when I'm at home it seems to flare up in a big way whenever I go somewhere, to the point that I've had episodes of gastroenteritis brought on by travel multiple times. Last week I went to visit my girlfriend and had to cut my trip short because I'd been throwing up for three days straight and I didn't want to end up in hospital.

Anyone else experience this, and anyone have any tips on how to manage it on short trips? (Longer trips are less of an issue, as I have more time to adjust to the new surroundings.) I know travel can be stressful and hard on the body, but it's never hit me like this before and...well, I can't exactly not leave my hometown for the rest of my life. I used to travel all the time and I don't want to have to be scared of it :/

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

Re: IBS aggravated by travelling?

I always get worse when I have to travel anywhere. The only advise I can give is to eat plain foods, ones that you know won't affect your ibs. I try not to eat much at all on the actual day of travel.

Re: IBS aggravated by travelling?

This happens to me a lot. I have had 'tummy bugs' several timed whilst abroad or away in this country. It is now starting to scare me whenever I am going away as I have no idea why it happens. I can control my IBS to a degree but the sickness and diarrhoea is awful and not something I can stop. Anyone know why this seems to happen to people with IBS?

Thread Information