Thread: Mirtazapine - lowering dose - anyone else have the same problems I am with it?

Mirtazapine - lowering dose - anyone else have the same problems I am with it?

Hi all

After a recent health crisis I started on Mirt at 15mg (I took the same drug after a health crisis 15 years ago and it worked well). My GP now (in a different country) knows little about the drug and so I am on my own. After being on 15mg for three and a half weeks, I upped the dose to 30 mg about two weeks ago because I understand that the 15mg dose is not therapeutic for anxiety. However, in the past couple of weeks especially, I have noticed that my heart isn't behaving quite the same. When I awake at night, it pounds harder than normal, and when I turn over it speeds up more than I am accustomed to. This had been happening for these two weeks without me making the connection, but I finally had a lightbulb moment and realised that it may be the drug.

Has anyone else had this on this drug? It is a subtle thing, but combined with vivid dreaming it is enough to exhaust me, so I am coming down to 22.5 and then eventually will go back to 15mg. Disappointing since the Remeron works with the anxiety for me. It is subtle enough that I still am not completely sure - but if others have had this experience then that will help convince me!

Thanks - and wishing all good health.
    Jen

Re: Mirtazapine - lowering dose - anyone else have the same problems I am with it?

Hey, I'm on 45mg and don't have this problem. It isn't a symptom of your anxiety is it? Were you anxious about taking the 30mg? I only increased to 45mg 3nights ago and about 10minutes after taking...my heart felt like it was beating harder and faster, but I know that was my anxiety. xx

Re: Mirtazapine - lowering dose - anyone else have the same problems I am with it?

Speaking as someone who has had heart arrhythmia from time to time, I can say that mirtazapine is regarded as one of the ADs least likely to affect heart rhythm.

I'd stick with it for a while - it may be a temporary thing that has no discernible cause. (In my case, the heart arrhythmia comes and goes, but is unrelated to mirtazapine). Good luck.

Thanks very much for the responses. I think the main reason that I decided to do this is because, although the anxiety symptoms have been the same since January, the vivid dreams and the feeling which is sort of like an adrenaline surge at night (straight from sleep) has only started since I began taking the higher dose. I have definitely felt the effects of dropping down to 22.5 - negative in terms of increased morning anxiety and positive in that I seem to be sleeping for longer periods, but I think I will try to stay at the lower dose for a week or two and see if I still get a therapeutic benefit.

Thanks again

Hi Cellist,

Good luck with the altered dose. I have to say, mirtazapine does do strange things to me if I take it just before going to bed, but don't fall asleep straight away. After half an hour to an hour, I get a series of jolts every twenty seconds or so. This can last up to half an hour. They're painless, but like electric shocks. Once they pass, everything is okay. I don't recall seeing anything written about it in lists of side effects, etc, but it's very predictable. Mirtazapine can also cause temporary restless legs, which is documented.

Hi,
    I've been on mirtazapine for nearly two weeks but am having awful anxiety still,the Dr said I can move up to 30mg now but I don't know what to do.He brought my level of venlafaxine down at the same time by 75mg and I'm wondering it its that causing the problems.Any ideas please?

Hi April,
    I think mirt is relatively gentle and for some of us, maybe it will not work.
    Don't think mirt really is a strong anti anxiety medication as such.
    Give a bit longer and maybe at a higher dose if doc says so, to see what effect it has.

Thread Information