Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sertraline 50mg side effects?

Sertraline 50mg side effects?

Hey all! I've been on 50mg Sertraline for a week and 2 days for my anxiety and around 2/3 days ago i started feeling sick and started having diarrhoea, but since then i've also started sweating a lot, getting headaches, i can't eat anything without feeling sick and all i want to do is lie in my bed and sleep, i spoke to my doctor about this and she said it may just be a bug and i have to try and continue with the medication but i hate what i'm going through right now! Is it the tablets causing me all these and should i be worried?

Re: Sertraline 50mg side effects?

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your problem.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Smile Re: Sertraline 50mg side effects?

Hi Ross
    I was on sertraline many years ago in fact apart from my current medication it is the antidepressant that I stayed on for the longest.
    Unfortunately it was when I was probably at my lowest I took to my bed for days on end & lived on cups of tea.
    Re side affects I had random bouts of diarrhoea without any warning it would come away from my body I had a few accidents. But it wasn't every day or even every week just now & again I did have headaches at first but It seemed to pass
    As I was not eating properly at the time it may have been a factor.
    I think overall sertraline is one of the better meds I have tried.
    I was in a bad place at the time so don't know truthfully at the time if it helped with my depression but a lot of the side affects did pass.
    I would say you probably haven't got a virus it's the sertraline but if you feel really ill don't be frightened to tell your doctor you're not happy.
    At the end of the day it's you taking the drug not them.
    Sorry I couldn't be of more help & hope you are feeling better soon

When I first started on sertraline, after switching straight from citalopram, I felt like I was on a high. I felt amazing. I felt like I was the happiest I had been for about 5 years. That lasted a week or so, and then mellowed. I didn't get any other side side effects apart from that. I think we are all different, and maybe the fact I had just switched from citalopram may have had an impact on the effects that I felt.

Thanks for replying Travis yeah i know what you mean about staying in bed and having the accidents, i have told my doctor and she wants me to try and stay on the medication, if the side effects do pass then i'll give it a go if they help me in the long run, but i've hardly been eating for the past few days so maybe that has something to do with it

Smile Re: Sertraline 50mg side effects?

Hi Ross
    You are welcome
    Not eating doesn't help but I'm not criticising because I don't eat properly, you don't want to when you feel that bad.
    My partner tells me off for not drinking enough fluids.
    If your stomach is empty & only the sertraline your body possibly finds it harder to tolerate.
    The trouble is it's easy for doctors to say stick with the meds but they don't suffer the side affects. I've had many heated discussions with doctors & psychiatrists over medication.
    Hope you're feeling better soon

Hi ross
    have you thought that maybe its the anxiety or the uncertainty of your medication thats making you feel so ill?
    I can make myself really physically ill with fear of the unknown especially tablets!
    sertraline can upset your tummy, so you shouldnt take it on an empty stomach and always with lots of water.....
    if you really cant eat (sertraline temporarily ruins your appetite too) try complan or a milk shake
    I have been on 100mg for years and doubt I would cope with life without it.....
    I know not everyone agrees with anti depressants, but without them, I doubt I would be here now......
    one minute, one hour, one day.........youll get there.....

Hey,
    I started on Sertraline just under 3 weeks ago.
    At first my appetite was okay then after a few days I started to feel sick and couldn't eat properly. It was strange, the idea of eating carbs made me feel ill, all I wanted was sweet things like chocolate and in small portions!
    A few days ago, my normal appetite started to return. Now its nearly completley back to normal
    Also- I had horrible headaches the first two weeks! Again these have eased up. I've always suffered from pretty frequent headaches but these felt worse and now feels better than normal!

An upset stomach appears to be a fairly common side effect. Mine is settling now after 4 weeks. X

Thanks to everyone for replying! It may just be my anxiety making me feel ill but tobe honest i don't feel anxious at all, i'm just really scared to eat at the moment incase it makes me sick but like you said ninnie i shouldn't take the tablet on am empty stomach, i'll try and eat something maybe 30 minutes before i take it and see how i feel, hopefully it doesn't make me sick lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information