Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elevated liver enzyme, possible ultrasound

Elevated liver enzyme, possible ultrasound

Back in the 12th, I went to see my internist about the blood work I had. My cholesterol level is a bit raised, and my ALT is 94. The SGOT is still normal, but bordering. He felt around my stomach and said that he could feel my liver. I know that it's not uncommon for overweight people to have enlarged liver, and he also mentioned me being overweight could be the cause.

He said I should do another test in a month, and we'd see how things go from there. An ultrasound is likely. He said for now the diagnosis was suspect fatty liver.

I've been trying to eat healthier and be more active to lose a bit of weight before the next blood work, but I can't stop thinking about the 'what ifs'

What if after all the eating healthier and working out, the number is still high?
    What if he orders an ultrasound, and they find something?
    What if, if not in my liver, they find something somewhere else in the abdomen?

Of course I did some Googling and I read lots of people did an abdominal us and found they had some growths in their liver etc etc

The idea of having the ultrasound especially scares the hell out of me. I regret why I didn't ask him to just do it then, instead of waiting for a month. My mom had to do an abdominal ultrasound a few years ago, and of course, I was the one who freaked out. Totally freaking out I had to leave the room because I was so scared for her.

Now it's likely it's going to happen to me and I just can't.

I talked to my mom and sister about my worries (they are fully aware of my HA), and my sister said that if they did find something... then it is what it is. Like, it's fate. CERTAINLY NOT HELPING *cries*

Re: Elevated liver enzyme, possible ultrasound

I had an ultrasound because of high live enzymes. I have a fatty liver. I am overweight as well. My ultrasound was clear. It's very common. Sometimes my liver is high sometimes it's fine. If your liver was sick you would know.

I guess I just hope that we don't have to do the ultrasound if possible. I know I shouldn't have Googled it, but I have limited self control. The people who found something didn't really have any symptoms either. Then they had to do a follow up, like CT or MRI and BOY if a simple ultrasound is creeping the hell out of me, you could guess how scary the idea of getting a CT done is to me.

I had elevated liver enzymes during my annual physical in 2012. I did the ultrasound and they too said 'fatty liver'. I am overweight. In 2013 I lost some weight and the liver enzymes improved. I was 34 at the first physical. I've consumed very little alcohol during my life, so the elevated enzymes scared me. Fatty liver is very common and highly likely.

Thank you both for replying.

I guess I'm just worried they'd find fatty liver AND something else, you know? :( It's the 'something else' that I'm worried about (more than the fatty liver anyway).

My daughter had dramatically increased liver enzymes and she does not drink at all and is not overweight. They said they could feel a tump on her liver. So really worried went to hospital for ultrasound, further blood tests etc. Discovered that her liver was fine but she did have some gallstones. She is fine now.

Ugh, I was bad and did some Googling. Found more posts about people who found lesions in their liver, kidney etc etc during their ultrasound (some even an ultrasound for something other than their liver) that turned out to be malignant. They had no symptoms.

Why am I doing this to myself?

I had high liver enzymes and was sent for a scan. Like you, I was scared, even though the GP had said it was just as a precaution. I didn't have to undress for the scan, just kept my normal clothes on and laid on my side with my top pulled up a little bit. The scan was quick, painless and they told me their findings at the appointment. Of course the liver was scanned and they had a look round at my kidneys and gall bladder as well. All the scan revealed was a slightly inflamed, slightly pink liver- simple fatty liver. Since then, I have lost weight and my numbers have come down dramatically. I have liver function tests very six months now as part of my diabetes checks and they're fine but I have had a random one which was high for no reason and a repeat test showed everything was fine.

Please try not to worry. Easier said than done but by sending you for a scan, your GP is just being thorough. I am the world's worst "what if" person at times and always try to be ten steps ahead when it comes to medical things (forewarned is forearmed) but worrying and second guessing has never done me any good. Good luck with the scan and let us know how you get on xx

Thank you, Sarah. I think I'm going to try and see him next week and maybe tell him that I basically have HA and I've been worrying about the ultrasound. If possible maybe I could have it done a week earlier than planned. Just want to put everything to rest! I'm not even worried about the supposedly fatty liver, but everything else that could potentially be found.

The thing is, I have a trip a week after the date I am supposed to retest my blood work and ultrasound and I'm just thinking if the results needs more investigation, I will be such a spoil sport during the trip and my mom and sister will surely give me hell for it. I want to be able to enjoy the holiday too :(

(Yes, in my head I've already pictured myself getting bad blood work result, bad ultrasound result that needs further follow up and so on)

You sound so much like me it's untrue! When I had diagnostic tests for diabetes, I was far more worried about what else they would find in the battery of blood tests I had to have than the diabetes itself. I was ten steps ahead at all times- what if I had kidney failure? What if my thyroid had packed in? Etc etc. I actually cried with relief when "all" I had was diabetes!

My own personal health anxiety is based around the "what if...?" and fear of the unknown. When it actually comes down to dealing with real stuff, an actual diagnosis, I am actually pretty good at it and able to rationalise things well.

Going to your doctor and explaining how you feel about everything is a great idea. Also, talk to your mom and sister about it. You will be surprised how supportive family can be and how good they are at helping you put things into perspective. Xx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information