Thread: Sleep Impact of Medication

Smile Sleep Impact of Medication

Hi! I'm new member. Age 73 - been on a mixture of Paroxetine (20 mg) and Amitriptyline (25 mg) for many years for depression. Seem to be OK these days. Sleep patterns never been brilliant and recently I've found that, although I get plenty of light sleep at night, the proportion of deep sleep (10%) and REM (5%) are way below the expected levels of around 20% each. This does not sound good! Could this be caused by the medication and does it matter?

Robert

Re: Sleep Impact of Medication

Could it be your age? There is a tendancy to sleep less deeply as we age, although it doesn't seem to affect everyone.

I'm not sure about the medication but depression will cause sleep pattern issues. any flare ups that could have contributed to it?

Smile Re: Sleep Impact of Medication

Terry, Many thanks for your reply! Sorry it took so long to acknowledge - I thought I would get a notification.

Age probably has an effect but I would be surprised if it was as much as this. I have had one good night for deep sleep - and then I snored! You can't win, but you can't even not play!

Robert

Thread Information