Thread: Not sure if citalopram is working anymore. Advice please.

Not sure if citalopram is working anymore. Advice please.

In May 2009 I started taking Citalopram for panic/anxiety, I had started on a dose of 20mg and then reduced to 10mg in nov 2012. I started feeling really good, no depression or anxiety so weaned myself off them completely in Sept 2013. 3wks later I then had a bit of a meltdown so the doc suggested I start taking them again at a dose of 10mg (at the same time I was also diagnosed with overactive thyroid. I had been feeling much better again until January of this year when I had a health anxiety moment with my thyroid and felt awful, had a couple of suicidal thoughts (which I'd never had before and wouldn't act on them anyway but the fact I had thought about it sent me into another panic) the gp then upped my dose to 20mg.
    Ever since the increase I've been feeling irritable, fly off the handle, poor sleep, pins and needles in feet etc and whilst I have many good days I feel that these tablets are just not working for me. I don't feel happy anymore, don't get excited about things and wake every morning feeling really down in the dumps.
    I had wondered if I had become immune to then now and maybe it's worth switching to a different one. I'm not keen on increasing the dose off the current ones.
    Has anyone else come across this or have any advice to give? If so it willbe gratefully appreciated. X

Re: Not sure if citalopram is working anymore. Advice please.

Hi Tikes. How long have you been back on Cit? I weaned off and went back on the meds again and this time was tough, really tough.

Lots of side effects too but at 17 or so weeks, I feel ok again. The SEs are pretty minimal now and I just try to take each day as it comes.

Life is a roller coaster...you just gotta ride it a day at a time
    (Cit 40mg)

Thread Information