Thread: Labia

Labia

Ok, sooo this is most likely my mind getting ahead of itself again but if I can't discuss it here... where can I? :P

I am a HA sufferer, to the point where I let one health concern go I actually can feel another coming on! Tonight, I will be looking at the CBT programme on here.

Basically, I want to know if it's normal to have a bit of your labia lips a different colour? Mine have a brown area and now I'm worried about it. It's been there for years and doesn't cause me any grief - only in my mind.

Is this normal?

Re: Labia

I think the clue here is that its been like it for years and doesn't cause you any problems (I didn't use the word grief because it obviously does cause that or you wouldn't be asking about it). None of us have perfect bodies an we all have uneven bits and pieces and splodges of different coloured skin tones everywhere. The time to worry is if its something new or gives you pain etc, but if as you say its always been like that then I would say please don't worry. But if you can face it, the nurse at your GP surgery will take a look to reassure you.

In the last year or so I've had a few Docs look down there, but for unrelated things. I have some kind of dermatitis down there that the doc saw yesterday. I didn't point out the different colour thing as that fear came after... typical.

I would hope that it it looked concerning one of the docs would say something though.

They can be all different sizes, shapes and colours, and in my experience they change as you age too!

I'm sure I've heard of people having different colours on their labia before. It wouldn't strike me as abnormal anyway

It's so ridiculous! I mean it's never bothered me all this time until now, which SHOULD make me feel better.

Now I'm thinking oh gosh what if it's skin cancer etc etc.

Argh!

If it's any help...

...they can be pink, brown or purple and they don't have to match your skin colour e.g. dark skinned with pink, fair skinned with brown or purple.

If it changes colour, it could signify a problem and it's advised to get it checked out.

(I should point out I am a bloke, so my experience is limited to the ones I've viewed , so I'm only a "lay" gynecologist, not a real one , but I just Googled it to get an answer).

Haha lay gyno- I love it!

It's been like this for as long as I can remember, so logic would tell me that's just how I am down there right?

Yeah, I would say so.

It just said to consult the GP if it changes colour. I guess it's the same as moles in that respect (not the underground type )

...ladies, honestly, this thread keeps popping up on the main page...I'm not going through the female issues board...

The GP was down there yesterday and didn't say anything about it. It doesn't hurt or itch.

Am I being stupid?

No, you're not being stupid - it's the anxiety.

You just need to trust your doctor. If they examined you yesterday and didn't see any reason to take it further, then maybe it's just the anxiety.

The only thing I could think of would be if it had changed colour and your GP is only seeing the new colour, maybe? That might depend on whether there would be any indication of the original colour still there, but surely the GP would spot this if it showed more than one colour? You would have to ask them this part to be sure.

Thread Information