Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Existential panic and derealization

Re: Existential panic and derealization

Also it's hard to break the thought "cycle" because I don't feel as if my view of the world is distorted, it's very real and distraction won't change that. My only hope is that I'm wrong about the universe.

Missy, believe me you will get to the point where you no longer care what the universe is doing or what the meaning of existence is. Or even if you still do care, it won't be accompanied by feelings of abject terror. It feels like there is no way out but that is an illusion caused by anxiety. Many, many people (myself included) have made 100% recovery from DP/DR - read my old posts from years ago and you'll see I felt the same as you. x

"Anyway, I've been having the most trouble lately with derealization and existential panic. Derealization has been common during the last few months, though the existential thoughts that accompany it now are awful. What is all this? Why am I here? Am I real? Is the world real? Is it all my imagination? What is the meaning of life? etc. etc. I can't get a break from them and it's making my life extremely difficult! It feels like I don't know who I am anymore. It also feels like I'll never feel normal again. It's like the thoughts have been so awful and disturbing that I'll never be able to feel alive and normal agan."

I'm so happy now, I can't help but cry!! I have had this exactly type of anxiety
    And symptoms. I have talked to people, therapists and googled but I couldn't find anything. Until now! I had my first existential panic attack when I was about 13 years old and I felt derealization for a month, it was a total nightmare and I remember wishing to come back to my body and myself again. It went away in the end and I was so relieved. Since then I have had anxiety but not extential panic or derealization - until a few weeks ago. All I can think is that I'm going insane, I am so scared I'm losing my control and losing my normal self. I don't know what to do, im just so thankful I read this. I feel less lonely in this. 🙏🏼

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information