Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bronchitis Got Me Down

Bronchitis Got Me Down

Ugh, and with that, good morning to all. I've been sick for the last four days with spring time allergies that have turned in to bronchitis. Fairly normal for me with the advent of springtime. I've missed the last three days of work and have been laying around the house, watching bad television and reading.

It's always difficult for me, with HA, to separate out the anxiety from the normal "feel bad" of an actual physical ailment. It seems to kick my depression up a notch, which I believe is perfectly normal. I'm going to try and go back to work today and be as productive as I can.

Whenever I get bronchitis in the springtime, I always tell myself that it's time to quit smoking. I know, I know. A person that smokes and that has HA, how ridiculous. Hardest darned thing that I've ever tried to give up.

Any words or advice on quitting smoking is welcome and appreciated. I know, go ahead and let me have it. Just make sure to give me some good cigarette fighting ideas to put in my new tool box.

Re: Bronchitis Got Me Down

Tanner,

Sorry you're not feeling well. Everyone around here seems to be going through something similar. There's definitely a bug going around.

After what I went through? I won't even get into it. I used the e-cig to get off tobacco and had a little more motivation to stop nicotine completely.

Positive thoughts
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 03-04-14 at 15:03. Reason: Don't need to tell anyone what they already know
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

There was an ad campaign over here a few years back and one of the slogans was 'never give up giving up!' and that seemed to get through to me as i'd tried and failed a few times by then...and really did feel like a complete failure, but I tried again and it worked. I did it without the patches etc so can't offer any advice on those, I think it made me nervous of becoming hooked on something else, so it was willpower and the fact that smoking really was starting to hurt me.

Never Give Up Giving Up

Tanner,
    Hope you start feeling better. As regards to giving up the weed I'm like Fishmanpa and use the E-cig. I was a 15-20 a day smoker for a little over 20 years and started using the E-cig in March last year. It took a couple of days to get used to it and remember day 3 being the worst but persevered. I'm still using the fake one and need to wean myself off but I can go for a good few hours without thinking about puffing on it.
    Give it a try and see how you get on with it.

I'm in the same boat right now, struggling to pack in but have a bad chest, I'm driving myself mad as all my anx is about my lungs, but I smoke to remain calm, viscious circle but getting some proper help asap of gp I've allready convinced myself I have terminal problems due to smoking I'm 35 and have been smoking on and off more on for 17 yrs, if I find a easy way I will be sure to msg u x x

For the money the average smoker spends on cigarettes, you could almost afford a private therapist every week.......

Anyhoo, I gave up 6 years ago when I found out my partner was pregnant. I knew that was it.

You have to find a reason that you want to give up, because if you don't actually want to give up (I mean REALLY want to) you won't give up.

Hi Tanner, I have to admit, I always enjoyed smoking but have recently given up due to worries about my chest and lungs. The only thing that has helped me and I have tried tonnes of things, is the electric cigarette. At present I cannot go anywhere without it but I am hoping to slowly cut down. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Thanks everybody. It seems that I see two common themes running through everyone's answers. You have to find a reason that really resonates with you that you want to quit. And number two, it sounds like the e-cigarette has helped several of you.

Do I want to quit? Yes, but somehow I haven't got it into my heart and head to work together to find the motivation. I know that smoking is hurting me. I can't breathe as well as I should and get short of breath climbing several floors of stairs. It's a terrible habit, but like Alma, unfortunately one that I enjoy. How ridiculous. I'm an intelligent woman and I know better.

As for the e-cigarette, I bought one of the really good ones and don't use it. Did you all totally quit the cigarettes and go straight to the e-cigarette or cut back and slowly incorporate the e-cigarette until that's all you were doing?

I know that smoking does play into my HA and my health in general. Just trying to find one more way of becoming healthier.

I have never smoked so can't pretend to imagine how hard it is to give up, and i think as a non smoker there is a danger of coming across a bit pretentious, but here goes.

Personally I think the biggest motivation for me would be an interview I heard with a Dr on the radio this morning who was discussing the fact that the NHS are relaxing rules about liver transplants for people with alcohol induced liver disease. There were lots of members of the public phoning in saying that it shouldnt be allowed, it is self induced etc.

This one Dr phoned in and pretty much said that the vast majority of admissions to hospital and cases that they deal with on a day to day basis can be attributed to 'lifestyle' factors, with smoking being amongst the greatest. I know it is tough, but think about the future and force yourself

Hey Gal,
    So sorry to hear you are feeling poorly! I haven't been around all that much, but was missing chatting with you last night, so was planning on messaging you today.

I don't know if this will help, but my 24 year old brother was in a head on collision on the highway a few years ago. He miraculously survived- and I do mean miraculously in the true sense of the word……during that time the doctors mentioned over and over how if he would have been a smoker he wouldn't have had a chance as it deteriorates our healing abilities. I was even surprised to hear that. We all know it's "bad" for our bodies to smoke, but I don't think we fully comprehend just how bad it truly is.

You are a brave, strong, intelligent woman, and when you get your heart and head lined up together- you absolutely will be able to do this. Would it be worth a visit with your GP to see what kind of help she could offer?

Hope you end up having a good day today, and that your allergies and bronchitis give you a break!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information