Thread: I'm finally out of my 'fear cycle,' what causes this to happen?

I'm finally out of my 'fear cycle,' what causes this to happen?

So, I'm finally out of the anxiety/fear cycle. The constant feeling of dread/panic all day, obsessive thoughts, irrational fears, depersonalization, etc..

Now, I'm actually able to focus on other things and my anxiety is minimal now. I was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder, so I know the normal in's and out's of anxiety. But this is probably the 5-6th time I've fallen into that cycle that lasts weeks and remains 24/7, from bed 'til morning.

What causes these cycles? Is that a normal symptom of GAD and/or anxiety disorders? Is it obsessive negative thoughts that trigger the constant state of anxiety?

I'm just curious. I want to understand WHY this happens, so I can prevent it in the future. I'm currently waiting to start CBT therapy on the 11th, just for general life altering in a positive way and for social anxiety/driving anxiety.

Don't get me wrong, I'm elated that I finally feel normal and I'm not plagued by random/irrational anxiety 24/7 like I was, but I still have yet to understand what brought it on.

Also, if anyone is curious how I broke out of my panic state.. I followed the advice of many anxiety sufferers. I accepted the anxiety as my "temporary condition", made it alright to feel them, didn't fight it, etc. Constant positive affirmation when I felt surges of fear or adrenaline, like "It's alright.. It's just anxiety.. This will pass.. It always does. It's 'feel' afraid, even though it's only your mind telling you to be because of the anxious state."

It didn't work right away, but after about a week or so of doing this, I was out. My body and mind began to calm, and the anxiety and it's symptoms all pretty much lifted at the same time. I "still" have a little bit of background anxiety, but I always have, I can manage that.

Re: I'm finally out of my 'fear cycle,' what causes this to happen?

It's an interesting subject.

I have had GAD for years and for the past 2 years I have experienced this cycle. At first it would be 3 weeks bad vs 1 week good but as time went by and I started implementing techniques to help, it would start to change in favour of the good periods.

After about 6 months I found that the bad periods were restricted to 8 days at most, but often down to 4. Now they are at 2-4 days.

Why does it happen? I'm not sure myself and I too have been asking this question.

What I do know is that I will feel different and then it starts. I don't have the 24/7 thing and haven't for years (it was really the first few months or so when I was at the worst point in the anxiety cycle) but I do feel it most of the day but I can turn my mind away from it by engaging in certain activities.

When mine is starting, I often feel, just different. Not as clear in my mind, I get strange headaches like if you had bad eyestrain and from here it progresses. No matter what I do, I can't seem to stop it although I have had times when I've broken it earlier...maybe advanced it quicker for instance.

It's made me question whether I am bi-polar since the average diagnosis time in the UK is 2 years and many doctors just through pills at you. Bi-polar is seen as severe swings but I read into it more and found a type that does have less severe swings that come more often. I don't think I experience the mania enough to decide it is this though and a diagnosis is a no chance with my GP.

But maybe it's just our old friend anxiety. It mimics other conditions and GAD can make you experience other anxiety disorders and phobies to a lesser degree. This is why it's so hard to deal with, it moves around!

I found that CBT wasn't enough for me, partially because I wasn't ready to commit to the changes I needed to. I did make progress though, just not enough. After finishing I noticed a change in my attitude and started to apply the CBT areas that I struggled with in the sessions.

I also found that trying to implement changes in the bad periods was a false economy. All I was doing was reinforcing the fact that I hated making these changes and doing these new things. So, everytime the bad period broke, I would try to make the gains in the better periods. I attribute the decrease in intensity & duration of the bad periods to this method.

Wow, I have to say I am so envious.
    I am amazed that after such a short spell of accepting your anxiety, you are confident enough to state you are over it.
    I think my mind is so much more troublesome. I have been practicing well for a couple of days, and starting to feel a little calmer, but it always fills me with doubt and just a small amount of anxiety can, and usually does, set me off with in a downward spiral.
    I have had GAD for 15 months now and continually going through these up and down cycles. As soon as I feel I am accepting and feeling a little better, I seem to hit myself with a bad day, and all my confidence leaves me.
    I then find myself floundering, and searching and reading to try and get back on track.
    Just how did you get through those high anxiety days so well.
    I absolutely believe this is all about dealing with anxious thoughts, as I can feel physical anxiety and stay in a positive mood, but sometimes the physical sensations combine with negativity and this is the killer. This is when I lose myself in despair.
    I then get caught up in trying to mentally manage myself. How should I think. How should I not think. All the confusion kicks in and I seem to forget all I have learned.
    Today, if I am honest, I find myself in despair. I am a firm believer in acceptance yet I don't believe I can do it.
    This is the bad place I keep finding myself. I have had very good days recently and very good spells of acceptance when really feeling dreadful, yet I have lost touch with these memories again and am in despair. I would like to know if you pass through these spells and how you did so mentally.
    Phil

Bumping this for Phil as you've popped in & out of yours recently buddy so might worth remembering that it's part of the journey...

Thread Information