Thread: Perimenopause?

Perimenopause?

Hi

I'm hoping that some ladies might be able to relate to this.

Over the last couple of years I've been having some period problems. It started a couple of years ago with a bit of spotting, then I had an incredibly early period followed by a late period. This went on over a few months then I had pretty much 9 normal periods.

Fast forward a year and the same thing happened, I saw GP's, had external and internal ultrasound, cervical biopsy and was told that my womb lining was slightly thicker but within normal ranges and I had an ovary which appeared polycystic. Coupled with the fact I was approaching 40 they just put it down to a combination of things and said no need to worry.

So I didn't, after the tests I had quite a few normal periods but since about Dec last year my periods have been up and down. I had one where it was like I was constantly trying to ovulate and had a bit of spotting then I ended up going 56 days before I had a period. Then I had one really early, then two normal periods bang on 28 days, then last month 22 days and now this month I've come on again but it's only 19 days since my last period.

I'm feeling really hormonal, having all the pmt symptoms, feeling teary, very sore breasts etc.

I'm now 41 and I am going to make a GP's appt as it's about 18 months since I had the tests but just wondered if this is normal for perimenopause? I keep thinking I'm too young for it but I'm sure that's not the case it's just my mum was 53 so I'm thinking we normally follow suite and if that's the case I should be 12 years off.

It's really hard not to worry, I'm trying to be rational and thinking it's blippy hormones but obviously the HA is telling me it's something sinister.

Re: Perimenopause?

hiya munclet, i can defo relate to you, my periods have been all over the place during the last year, now over the last couple of months ive had spotting for the first few days then heavy, and there lasting 2 weeks aswell, i had an ultrasound 2 weeks ago and they said i got a couple of small fibroids, which were well out of the way at the top of my womb and everything else was normal, ive had a couple of fsh tests done and was told there within normal range, my gp said this was quite typical for peri for periods to be early, late, prolonged, heavy, light ect... so it sounds to me like your in perimenopause, like me, i cant wait till it comes to an end im 51 by the way

Re: Perimenopause?

Thank you for the reply Susan.

It's no fun being a woman, especially if you have HA!

I think I'm just going to to check in with the Dr and ask the question. My periods themselves don't seem to have changed much, occasionally they are a bit heavier but again I know that's probably related to the perimenopause as well.

The joys!

x

Thread Information