Thread: first time reader + propranol

first time reader + propranol

Hey, im a 21 year old male who has never been on medication apart from the odd antibiotics

i've recently found this forum and just yesterday, my GP prescribed me 40mg propranolol

i've read loads of threads on this site but i couldn't quite get the answer i was looking for, so if you wouldn't mind helping me, it'd be much appreciative

firstly, in september 2013, out of the blue i started getting a beating heart especially when trying to sleep, and this progressed during the day and i started to feel strange and uncomfortable, i just didn't feel right. I thought this was due to a heart/circulation/lung problem or a combination. This continued until january this year, when all of a sudden completely out of the blue in a shopping centre, i had a strange horrific sensation in my chest and my whole body felt feint and dizzy.

I thought i was about to die, genuinely, i grabbed my friend in pure desperation and due to how frightening it was, i had to get an ambulance called, after yet another ECG, and blood tests, they call came back clear

Since then i've not had an episode like that however when i get psychial symptoms when in social situations such as ;

extremely hot and sweaty, even in light clothes
    shaking/tremor in hands especially
    racing heart
    a tad dizzy/uncomfortable and just generally not feeling well
    feel like im going to pass out
    spaced out type feeling
    and
    Every single night time when i need to go to sleep, i feel incredibly anxious, i worry im going to die/go blind, my heart races and i just have a horrific time getting to sleep

This is completely hampering my quality of life and it's just unbearable and im currently in a limbo as i feel i can't psychically cope to apply for any job ( which i greatly need )

and just not feeling comfortable engaging in social activities

so i went to the doctor again he prescribed propranolol

so my couple of questions

1) i'm going to a huge football game on sunday up in london at wembley, and with my mates like always i shall be wanting to drink and may get rather drunk, will that cause me any problems on these medications? (i only drink once a week, although i probably drink in excess then)

2) if i say take a tablet on saturday morning, but none on sunday, would it effect my drinking?

3) how would you recommend taking the tablets? when i'm at home, apart from bed time, and if there's a number of people over, i don't have much of the symptoms until i go out

4) will smoking cause me any harm while on these tablets?

thank you for reading, and i greatly appreciate any help you may give

Re: first time reader + propranol

If I where you I would go to my local chemist/pharmacist and ask them the same questions, as much as I would love to answer them for you , you know that due to the nature of the site It wouldn't be good.
    You need proper medical advice, but I will say a racing heart is I think a common symptom of anxiety.

Thread Information