Thread: Scared to take Fluoxetine :/

Scared to take Fluoxetine :/

I've been having a lot more palpitations than usual lately and it's been making me worry about my heart again, as well as having my usual general anxiety. so I went to see my doc earlier today. She said it's most likely anxiety related, but she's going to book me in for another ECG and she wants to run a few blood tests, and she also prescribed me 20mg Fluoxetine.

I'm really worried about taking them as I read on the side effects that it can cause an irregular heart beat and blood pressure problems :( she done my blood pressure today and it was 80/140 so it was pretty high especially for my age. I'm scared I'm gonna take them and it will cause a heart attack or stroke or something :/

Also, I have exams coming up in about a month time and I'm really worried that it will effect my memory :/

Anyone have any experiences with any of this?

Re: Scared to take Fluoxetine :/

Hi Jsp,

The side effects are usually for the first few weeks. A racing heart can happen in the early days to a few, but not everyone.

I wouldn't say they affect memory (well not for me), if anything its easier to concentrate because outside factors were filtered out.

Try to stay calm in the first few weeks, give yourself time to relax especially if your heart starts to race and you feel panicky. It will get better.

Quote Originally Posted by sjane View Post
    Hi Jsp,

The side effects are usually for the first few weeks. A racing heart can happen in the early days to a few, but not everyone.

I wouldn't say they affect memory (well not for me), if anything its easier to concentrate because outside factors were filtered out.

Try to stay calm in the first few weeks, give yourself time to relax especially if your heart starts to race and you feel panicky. It will get better.
    Thanks for your advice. I'll just try to keep calm!

I literally just took the pill, so I hope it's ok :(

HI JSP , I know how you feel I have been on these tablets for 10 weeks now and like you the side effects were awful , feeling sick , stomach pain, headaches , the shakes and the worst anxiety you can imagine but now I am glad I stuck with the medication as things are a lot better , its the second time I have taken these and the side effects didn't last as long the first time and in the end fluoxetine was great for me and I was on them for a long time with no trouble , fluoxetine do have many side effects and they take a while to get into your system and settle down but when they do they are one of the best medications of this kind and you will feel better , its not easy I won't pretend it is but it's worth it when you start to feel better . Keep reading this site there are many people who will try to help and advise you about the best ways to get through the side effects and they will know because they have been there .

Thread Information