Thread: CBT counselling yesterday

CBT counselling yesterday

Hi all,

I had my first session of CBT counselling yesterday I've had it twice b4 but it never worked however this time I am feeling more positive. The times previous I did it for my partner and my dad as they was worried about me, I never put in 100% as I wasn't ready to be brave and accept that I had HA. The counsellor I had was lovely and she said to me as I self referred this time and have accepted that I need to do this to be better, plus I'm in a better place that we are going to be doin intensive CBT, I'm scared and excited to think this is a start of kicking the dragons ass!!

So basically what I am saying is I have had HA for 4yrs now and it has only been the last 3 months that I have become strong enough to admit it and try my damn hardest to beat it, but don't worry if u aren't there yet it took me a Long time to one actually believe that I could beat HA and two to realise that it wasn't going to b easy and it will b scary and I will feel like giving up at times but I will do it! X

Re: CBT counselling yesterday

Hi havefaith

That's brilliant that your first session went well I've just started my 3rd round of CBT too. I had it for panic disorder years ago which was helpful. Then had it again for generalised anxiety, but like you, I don't think I was really ready to face some of the issues. This time I feel a bit more prepared to make an effort and try to tackle some of the things which cause me anxiety.

I'll be really interested to hear how you get on. Good luck with it!

Re: CBT counselling yesterday

I can completely agree with this too.

I had my first CBT and whilst I made progress, I just couldn't on a lot of the harder issues. However, after I finished I did start to feel different, take more and I even started working against some of the goals I set in my CBT.

So, I also believe I just wasn't ready at that point, I was too overwhelmed.

I attest a far bit of this to Mindfulness meditation because I started to have a change in attitude and nothing had altered in my routines, it was pretty much the same, day in, day out.

Good luck. I reallly helps to 'click' with a therapist and also to feel that you are ready, it's half the battle I think!

Thread Information