Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Not actually sure if its helping my anxiety...

Re: Not actually sure if its helping my anxiety...

Basically you go too bed really late and get up really early so you retrain the brain. It is a lot more scientific than that and you also have to get up in night if you have been awake for more than about 15 mins.
    You recondition the brain to associate the bed with sleep rather than wakefulness and tossing and turning. You force the sleep into a shortish window rather than the classic mistake we insomniacs make of going to bed earlier to try and catch up on sleep.
    Its paradoxical - in the same way that low doe mirt makes you sleepier than higher dose mirt.
    It is beneficial for about 2 thirds of people that do it, but obviously you can be really knackered in the earlydays of doing it.

Ah I've read about that sort of thing. Is this where you only use the bed for sleeping and sex as well? No reading or computer etc etc.

---------- Post added at 19:53 ---------- Previous post was at 19:52 ----------

Why do higher doses of mert not make you as sleepy?

Did the diazapam get you back on track? or was it something you just ended up taking to relieve you? I'm a bit sceptical of taking something like this, as I'm worried it would potentially make my anxiety worse if that makes sense? I'm having rather a difficult time trying to feel 'normal' again...I question my mental state constantly..which is silly, but it results in me feeling not quite right because I'm constantly assessing how I feel xx

The first time I took it I was a complete mess. It really sorted me out to get back on the straight and narrow. Gave me a rest, gave my brain a rest. It was amazing.
    This time, second time, it worked well enough but not quite as well. Think I was expecting miracles. It did sort me out to a certain extent but for some reason its come back. I actually think a lot of my anxiety is hormonal but the dr won't entertain looking into this and just says she'd put me on the pill which is no use to me being single lol.

That sounds interesting keggsy. I've always naturally got so frustrated if I can't sleep..where as my mum has coped with the insomnia of prozac simply because she never got bothered by not sleeping..she'd just get up and read a book..but I couldn't do that because I get too upset by it.

Mummyanxious.... I don't know why mirt in higher doses is less sleepy..but for me I'm on the highest and it's still sleepy for me.. lol infact I tend to feel more tired on 45mg than I do on 30mg... keggsy is an exception and the anxiety is so bad that the sedative effect for some rare reason isn't having the effect it does on most mirt users xx

---------- Post added at 19:58 ---------- Previous post was at 19:55 ----------

Sounds interesting mummy anxious...perhaps something I could consider if I really can't shake it..but i'm just worried I will rely on it and it won't sort me out..so would prefer to take a consistent med that gets me back to normal in a few months xx

Google sleep restriction therapy rachy, there lots out there on it.

Low dose mirt has an antihistamine type effect on the brain, higher doses than 15mg have a more stimulating effect which may not be so good for sleep, but better at tackling depression.

We are all different so will all react that bit differently.

I might mention pregabalin to my doc when I see him in a coupe of weeks, as some on here are on that for anxiety and it is not as risky as the diazepam in terms of addiction and tolerance issues.

Antihistamine, will it sort my hayfever out

Thst s the thing rachy, not sleeping well is a big deal to us, massive in fact, where as others are less troubled by it.
    Getting upset at it just makes it much worse though!

I will do, yeah I'm not sure about going on proper anti-anxiety meds. I really don't want to complicate my situation further. I don't know if I mentioned...my doctor has reffered me for talking therapy..not sure if he meant CBT or counselling but I'm hopeful that will really help. Haha mummyanxious..it might do! Yes Keggsy...the sleep is the main limiting problem for me and meds...I need to sleep otherwise I get worked up xx

I've read good stuff about the pregabalin but some say they're reluctant to prescribe in uk due to cost?

---------- Post added at 20:15 ---------- Previous post was at 20:13 ----------

I get very irritable when I'm tired too. Ive not slept properly really since January. I've been tossing and turning most night. But it's getting worse now. And I get terrible insomnia before my period too.
    I'm on the waiting list for intense cbt now but it could be between a month and three months wait! Crazy!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information