Thread: Urgent, so scared!!!

Urgent, so scared!!!

I've been suffering with anxiety and panic for 5 months and am currently on cipralex for treatment. I went out tonight and I decided to drive since I don't drink. On the way home we had 6 people in a 5 seater. And just my luck, I got pulled over. I don't know if you guys know but the police in South Africa are dangerous and abusive. I was heavily mistreated and instead of just getting a fine, the officer told me that I was being arrested and started abusing me verbally. I went into a full blown panic and anxiety attack, i tried to ask for assistance and water but was refused this. Eventually my dad arrived and the police attitude changed and somehow they let me go, they were just looking for a bribe. But now I think I'm suffering from after anxiety feelings and struggle to get my mind of this. Even If I report the policeman nothing will happen as my country is so corrupt and false (can't wait to immigrate). Any advice on how to get over this??? I'm really anxious and panicky??? I feel sick!!

Re: Urgent, so scared!!!

Wow, that is a really horrible experience. I'm so sorry that you had to go through that :(

Clearly, and understandably, it has left you very shaken. What's important to remember, however, is that you are fine. It was horrible, of course, but you're safe now. Take deep, calming breaths and tell yourself that, over and over if you need too. You're okay. The experience is over. Dwelling overlong upon it will only make the anxiety worse, as you play it over and over again in your mind.

Try to focus your attention instead upon other things. Think positively, use it as a stepping-stone, some further motivation for your plans to emigrate. Let yourself dwell upon your plans, rather than upon what has happened.

It sounds like they like shaking down young guys given they changed when your dad turned up.

It's ok to feel they way you do about this. I think we anxious people don't always realise that anybody without an anxiety disorder could be affected quite badly by a shocking event such as police corruption.

The best thing to do is to distract yourself and practice any techniques that you have. I recall that you are still suffering from the side effects of your meds as you are new on it, so things might seem out of proportion right now.

Look at Calming Technique and Progressive Muscle Relaxation (PMR) and practice them for now. They will help calm you down.

I think it would be wise to contact your psychiatrist as this is a traumatic experience that has made you worse and they could help. Isn't your mum a psychiatrist? Can she help you with some techniques at least to get you through this?

My step dad is south african, and he has a couple of stories like yours.

I agree totally with RT and MNIT. It was an incident in your past, you are reliving the feelings but the event itself is over. The good thing you can take from this is that although the police were bad, your dad managed to help you out and like RT said, you're OK now.

Good luck with emigrating, where are you planning on going?
    Last edited by HalfJack; 18-04-14 at 01:47.

Thread Information