Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Advice on mindfulness

Re: Advice on mindfulness

Thanks for the comment Terry. Very informative. I will also check out the exercise on that link. So am I right in thinking that the majority consensus is that mindfulness is very beneficial for most types of anxiety?

Also, instead of starting a new thread, has anyone had any experience with 7/11 breathing? If so, was it helpful?

Yeah Mindfulness is recommended for anxiety & depression. Newer forms of CBT have emerged that incorporate it such add MBSR by Jon Kabat-Zinn and the UK version MBCT which was co founded by professor Mark Williams from Oxford University.

Its helped me, especially with OCD.

7 11 breathing is something that I know as Calming Technique. My CBT therapist gave me a worksheet. I used to use it but I later stopped because I moved onto Mindfulness which has greater score for change. It will be useful though as it helps to slow your breathing and will get more oxygen into you cutting down on some of the sensations, tingling, etc.

Again thanks for the comment. I guess giving both ago wouldn't be a bad thing. I'm definitely interested in the sound of mindfulness. To begin with, just getting a time for me to stop and have a time out, away from the constant worrying and fear would be very helpful.

As for the 7/11 breathing, i've never tried it. I've just herd it come up every so often and thought it mite be worth ago.

Perfect_Blue, thanks for asking about mindfulness - I wanted some more information about it too, but didn't like to ask.

I'm glad you tread could help you

I am very interested in mindfulness. It seems to keep coming up again and again wherever i look at anxiety/depression option.

Yeah, Mindfulness was there all the time but the medical professional has only recently (well quite a few years recently) started to look away from the meds and at things that have been round for a millenia.

If you do some Googling you will come up with all sorts of types e.g. walking, art, crafts, etc. It's worth being guided until you are ready, then do it without the guiding and move onto more everyday types.

I'm moving onto the everyday thing next and want to start QiGong. I try Mindful walking from time to time when I'm struggling and it does help to lift you but then I have the groundwork in with the meditation so I think I can activate it easier than I used to.

Did I mention there are scientific studies of Mindfulness out there as they are finding it can lead to neuroplasticity?

CheeseMonster, ask away, there are members on here that seem to respond because they practice it and the more the better I think.

---------- Post added at 09:20 ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 ----------

I meant to add, if you are looking at Calming Technique, you could also look at Progressive Muscle Relaxation (PMR) as I was given that at the same time. It helps to relax a bit and it may help if you have issues with body sensations.

Thanks again Terry. Few question: So with mindfulness practise would you recommend starting off with just the breathing meditation and not anything else, e.g walking, etc? Also, if one did just the breathing meditation daily would that be enough to have any effect or do you have to go into the everyday mindfulness as well? Or would that part just come naturally after a while?

SarahH is offline Most Naughty-ish Member Ever

To help you understand and learn the techniques I would recommend "Sane New World" by Ruby Wax.... it really did change my outlook of my life and taught me about Mindfulness. The most important thing to start with is to realise that the more you practice the exercises the quicker you will become "mindful" in everyday life. It all about bringing you back to the here and now, the moment you are in rather that fretting about the past or the future.

Sarah

Hi. I'm interested in mindfullness but worried it won't work cos had the same intrusive thought for 3 yrs now and everyone thinks this is impossible so worried that I'm beyond help.

Anyone else here had thoughts a long time and been helped by mindfullness?

Instead of starting a new tread thought I would just ask in here. Is there a set amount of time you should do a formal mindfulness meditation? I am trying to do it daily but I think I will have trouble sitting for longer than 10 minutes. Would I have to do more to see the benefits or would this be ok?

Also do you have to do all the different types of mindfulness meditations, for example, in mark Williams book? Like the full course he reccomends. Or could you just do the mindfulness of breathing meditation without any of the others?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information