Thread: NHS Therapy Not Going Well

NHS Therapy Not Going Well

Hi,

I've seen an NHS therapist for 5 sessions (of 25 sessions in all). This all started as a result of a rage attack I had in reception at work nearly 2 years ago. I saw my GP and got referred to the Rethink Lets Talk Welling service, but only got 8 sessions, which did n't really help.

I asked for more help, so after a year I got referred to the local Mental health Trust. I've had 5 sessions so far (out of a total of 25), but I don't think this is hugely different from what I had before.

I've had some material about stress and mindfulness and also ways to make decisions. The therapist wanted me to join a society so I can start making conversations with strangers. All in all, this seems to be CBT lite. Very superficial, nothing likely to change things.

I'm still getting general anxiety. I don't feel any better about making decisions and I feel generally depressed about my life.

I really don't where to go from here. I've CBT 20 years ago. I tried Transactional Analysis, group therapy, hypnosis. I just cant' get rid of the anxiety and depression.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Re: NHS Therapy Not Going Well

What meds have you tried, and what were the results? Do you have a psychiatrist/do you think you could get a referral for a bit?
    Marie

Part of their responsibility is to determine the appropriate therapy for your situation. Perhaps ask them what this therapy is, why they have chosen it and what their aims are.

Hi,

I was given citalopram when I first saw my GP. That did nt seem to have any positive effect, only mind it hard to concentrate. I have been offered pregabalin by the consultant at the mental health team, but I'm not keen. Some side effects include not being able to drive. That does n't sound good as regards being able to work.

Next sessions with the therapist is on 6th May. I'll ask him about type of therapy and when his aim is.

Thanks.

There are so many different antidepressants and tablets to help with anxiety out there, it is very possible at least one will be a good fit for you. Not trying to push drugs, it is only that you are still getting anxiety and feeling depressed. Maybe therapy alone just now isn't apt to work for you, and it sounds as though you've tried many kinds. I was afraid to try any drugs, honestly, and mostly because of side effects, like you. It was eye-opening to learn that they are all very different that way. With the Effexor I'm on, for example, I was able to drive no problem from the start. What finally reassured me was finding out the side effects were mostly only at start-up, for just the first number of weeks, and I could expect to feel okay again after that. When dosage is changed, they can return, but I am told they are not usually felt again to the degree as they are at start-up. Just something to consider ... Good luck with the therapist, don't give up, something will click for you!
    Marie

Thread Information