Thread: Nurse didn't wash her hands before blood tests - now I'm in pain

Nurse didn't wash her hands before blood tests - now I'm in pain

Hi. As the title reads really. I went for blood tests about an hour ago. The nurse put that strappy thing around my arm to get the vein to pop out, then, before washing her hands, she poked at the vein with her finger. THEN she said "ooh, best wash my hands!". Then all she did to clean the area she was about to take blood from was wipe it with some dry cotton wool, nothing else on it. (Also, her nails were really long, which can't be too hygienic!).

That was about an hour ago and my arm is killing! Not just where the blood was taken, but all around it. And not just when I bend my arm, it's all the time. I'm really worried. I heard the guy who was in there before me (not that I was trying to listen, the room is right next to the waiting room!) saying that his nose and throat were inflamed, and he came out with a prescription. Now I'm worried that she's put his germs on my arm and then pushed them inside my arm with the needle (I know that might sound crazy, and if it does, feel free to say! But to me it seems very possible!).

I had blood tests done a week ago by a different nurse (one who did wash her hands and clean my arm!) and I had no pain afterwards. Really worried now :(

Re: Nurse didn't wash her hands before blood tests - now I'm in pain

It only seems crazy to someone who doesn't have HA. My arm always feels buggered after bloods been taken, I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine, she's more hygienic than you think, I dunno how often you personally wash your hands but I know I should wash mine more! Yesterday some skin peeled off my finger and it bled and I poked nd prodded it with my unwashed germ filled hand and I'm fine, as I'm sure you will be. You'll feel better about it tomorrow

I have bruising and pain for several days after each blood test I have. It usually travels up my arm a little as well at times.

The needle itself would have been sterile, and whatever bacteria that may have been at the area, your body is more than capable of coping with.

SarahH is offline Most Naughty-ish Member Ever

Yes that does sound a little crazy....... BUT you have anxiety...... some nurses are very good at taking blood and not causing bruises others are not.. I once had blood taken in hospital by a phlebotomist who did no even leave a mark on my arm... so it's about the skill of the person taking the blood. As for the "germs" it it very very unlikely that you have an infection from it as the needle would have been sterile.

Sarah

That's absolutely totally normal. She washed the area with alcohol. That will effectively kill anything before you got stuck with the needle and the needle was from an unopened sterilized package.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Agree its about the skill of the person taking the blood. It's nothing to do with her 'hygiene' so try and relax. I had blood taken by a nurse when I was pregnant and the bruising was criminal. It ached for a long time. I had some taken lady week and the guy didn't leave more than a small bruise.

Thanks for the replies! Helped calm me down a lot and my arm isn't hurting as much anymore

Thread Information