Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Positive stories about visiting the Dentist?

Re: Positive stories about visiting the Dentist?

Just to chip in here, the majority of experiences I've had at the dentist have been completely fine, but I guess it depends a little on the actual dentist you are seeing. During my lifetime so far, I suppose I've seen about 8 different dentists, 7 were fantastic, 1 not so much (but even that wasn't that bad). It really is nothing to worry about, and if you go ahead and explain your fears and concerns to them beforehand they are always really helpful and caring.

As an example, my Mother really really hates the dentist but unfortunately seems to always have something wrong with her teeth (oh the irony), and recently had to have some major work on a tooth and its root... Needless to say, she was dreading it and therefore told the dentist and nurse about her concerns. After hearing her fears, they really couldn't have been more supportive and lovely... The nurse held Mum's hand and spoke to her throughout, which kept her calm and comfortable. Afterwards, she couldn't have been more upbeat about her experiences (which was strange - if you didn't know where she had just been you'd never have guessed it was the dentist!!), and it has made her way more confident about going back for the next treatment.

Just be open with them about what you're worried about and i'm sure everything will work out Good luck!

My fear is extractions I'm ok with everything else I have this fear they will not be able to get it out or they will break my jaw or worse it's irrational I know .

“Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.”

I HATE the dentist. But every time I have gone it has not been as bad as I expect it to be. I do have to say after putting it off, I am going to try my best to keep up with 6 month cleanings because then I won't have to get extra work done each time I go.

With extractions, honestly I never even noticed them taking the teeth out and I had impacted wisdom teeth. I was under twilight gas for it.

Hey guys thanks! I've still not been yet... but oddly enough I've set aside time to make an appointment next week.

I've got to go to a private dentist, so it's costing me a lot of money but they are a special place for nervous patients that offer sedation and have a very good reputation. My boyfriend has been there before for treatment and he said they were amazing so that made me feel more confident about it. I'm really worried about it but I'm more worried about my health at this point! I'm going to have to have A LOT of work done but I'm happy to have it done slowly at a rate I can afford.

I'm on a waiting list for exposure therapy to deal with my phobia of needles, which I'm ready to jump into, really determined to sort this out.

I have never had a bad dental experience. None were amazing fun, but nothing painful and terrible, more uncomfortable and STILL I have a phobia of the dentist. I need to go soon because I broke a tooth which I have been blatantly ignoring. No tooth ache since that is a tooth I had a root canal on....but still I can't get the courage to go. I end up hyperventilating if I think about it too much. But to answer your question I have never had a bad experience. Even the root canal wasn't sore (a filling is worse in my opinion)

Thanks
    I've got two broken teeth... I haven't had any work done for 6 years... eep.
    Although on the plus side my awesome immune system fought off the infection I had thanks to one of them so the pain is all gone. I'm trying to gear myself up to go at the moment too... figure it's about time!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information