Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: paroxetine

Hi There

I took Paroxetine for 6 years and have to say it worked wonders for my anxiety it was like a miracle and i was able to be the person i felt i always had been bar the anxiety.

There is a lot of negative information on the net about this drug and there is no smoke without fire. Saying that not everyone will experience the negative withdrawal effects and people seldom seek out these kinds of boards etc when they are feeling well or to say anything good about a drug.

I would however consider a different SSRI and if you have no success then the Paroxetine is always there as a last resort. Also you must have therapy to deal with the root causes. I was happily medicated for years only to find my anxiety issues were still around when i came off.

Cassie

Hello.
    I have been on Seroxat for years and it has been a wonder drug for me. My Doctor is very keen that i come off it but every time i try (slowly reducing my dose) my anxiety symptoms return and are so bad i go back on it.
    I am currently back to my highest dose. I wouldn't even be considering coming off it but my partner and i want a baby and medical advice says i should not take it while trying to concieve. I believe Seroxat changed my life.

Gem

anyone interested in finding out about Seroxat should look up paxil progress.org and then you can make an informed choice.

Bearing in mind paxilprogress.org is biased against the use of Seroxat so you'll hear all the negatives.

True but there are two sides to every story.

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Hi there -seroxat was my life saver for 7 years. I was fine on it, but it started to wear off. I decided to come off it as i no longer felt i needed it as it wasnt doing much anyway. Now sroxat is my hell on earth. I am in the process of coming off it. I was on 20mg and now i'm on 6mg and probably wont be off it for a good few months yet. the withdrawal feels like it is literally killing me at the moment!! I need to get off it as i want to start a family.

Please seek better alternatives if you can.

Otis x

<div align="right">Originally posted by otis - 06 December 2006 : 09:21:25</div id="right">
    </td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Hi there -seroxat was my life saver for 7 years. I was fine on it, but it started to wear off. I decided to come off it as i no longer felt i needed it as it wasnt doing much anyway. Now sroxat is my hell on earth. I am in the process of coming off it. I was on 20mg and now i'm on 6mg and probably wont be off it for a good few months yet. the withdrawal feels like it is literally killing me at the moment!! I need to get off it as i want to start a family.

Please seek better alternatives if you can.

Otis x

<div align="right">Originally posted by otis - 06 December 2006 : 09:21:25</div id="right">
    </td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

If your doctor agrees that your treatment with paroxetine has been effective and your ready to come off but having withdrawal symptoms that mimic your original symptoms there are ways to withdraw that work.Generally coming down ml by ml is not helpful.The half life is not long enough to make this a useful way.I think the receptor binding effects like lots of drugs make the last few mls the most difficult.Also if your on something like 6mg then its not physiologically therapeutic.The symptoms your getting are SSRI withdrawal.Its sometimes helpful to stop taking the paroxetine when your in this situation and to take a very small dose of another SSRI with less problems e.g. citalopram 10mgs.This will get rid of the SSRI withdrawal symptoms your feeling but isn't really a treatment dose.Take it for 4 to 6 weeks to stabilise your system then stop the citalopram.SSRI discontinuation syndrome is less common with something like this especially after only 4-6weeks.
    This only works if your anxiety disorder is treated properly but can be very helpful way of "escaping" a drug you feel trapped on.It works for lots of people.Obviously discuss it with your doctor first.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information