Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Throat worries please help

Exclamation Throat worries please help

Ok, I will try to keep this as short as possible.

I gave up smoking on 12th March and have been using the e-cigs. (I don't know if this is relevant) I smoked for 12 years - 20 a day.

I went to a restaurant and got a bit of cucumber stuck in my throat which caused me a concern when eating in front of others. (again, not sure if this is relevant)

I would have to wash food down with water after every mouth full because it felt like food was only going half way down.

About 4 days ago I was sat at the computer when I attempted to swallow my saliva but I couldn't seem to manage it so I panicked, big time - I thought I was dying, thought of throat cancer, wind pipe cancer and even thyroid cancer. Typical health anxiety!!!!

Anyway I went to the drs on Thursday and could only see a nurse - she said that my tonsils were red and sore and that it was viral. She told me to take nurofen and paracetamol.

All fine, I accepted that and got on with my day. Until yesterday it felt like a continual tickle. I used salt water and eventually the tickle went but the tickle was also feeling like a tonsil stone stuck in my throat (I do suffer these blasted things so it could have been that).

This morning my throat feels raw and sore.

But my fear remains - I've got cancer!!!!

I haven't eaten properly for a few days now and drinking plenty of water.
    If I belch it seems to help for some reason!

I think it may be worth mentioning that this discomfort has moved around my throat - first it was the left tonsil, then the left side of my throat (Adams Apple), then it seemed to be the whole of my throat and this morning its moving to the right side of my throat.

I am panicking, because I just don't know how to shake off the feelings of it being serious. And I cannot afford not to eat - I'm only a size 8 lol...

Any help and support would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reading
    Love to all
    Krystal xxx

Re: Throat worries please help

I can't offer insight on your symptoms, only empathy. I'm dealing with throat-related pain and discomfort that's bad enough to keep me from falling asleep, as I wonder about all the different types of throat cancer I might have.

Two things give me some measure of reassurance...

1) I'm pursuing medical tests, as well as second and third opinions. Whatever I'm dealing with will be caught earlier than if I weren't being proactive about it, and that's always a cause for optimism.

2) My symptoms are just another progression in a chain of symptoms over the last few months. Like your pain, which seems to move around your throat, my pain has moved around my body. It's too transient to be cancer, my doctor said.

So I really ought to believe it's not serious.
    I encourage anyone who's struggling with their doctor to take your health into your own hands. You can always start by checking reviews at www.RateMDs.com. And don't forget to leave a positive review for the doctors you appreciate! FYI: Here are some tips on writing an online review of your doctors: http://abt.cm/1lZUdaF

Hey there and thank you for your reply - I hope you get yours sorted out soon and you are pain free again xxxx

Thanks, I hope you do as well.
    I encourage anyone who's struggling with their doctor to take your health into your own hands. You can always start by checking reviews at www.RateMDs.com. And don't forget to leave a positive review for the doctors you appreciate! FYI: Here are some tips on writing an online review of your doctors: http://abt.cm/1lZUdaF

Anybody at all who has advice - I would be greatly appreciative

Back to my throat concerns - this discomfort seems worse in the evenings - from 5pm onwards.
    I am worried sick now!!!!

Hi krystal. I am having similar issues (except with me it was a carrot, not a cucumber lol)
    I am trying to focus on other things and do some breathing exercises. i know it is hard but you'll get through it.
    Eating is important. When I am feeling like this I try and eat food I really like that I wouldn't normally eat. If I don't eat and sleep well I feel much worse.

Hang in there.

Thanks Jennsy, I have another appointment this morning for a second opinion. I am so scared that they will make me go for tests at the hospital. I can't cope with it much longer.
    Last night I had a panic attack because of it and I feel so down in the dumps.
    All the what ifs are coming out to play.

My app is at 11:10 this morning so fingers crossed for me.... I'M SO SCARED of the outcome!!!!!
    I cannot begin to tell you just how scared I feel - its constantly on my mind which seems to make it worse!

---------- Post added at 12:40 ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 ----------

Just been back to the dr, saw a lovely lady who has said again that my tonsils are ever so slightly red and that its nothing to worry about.
    I am trying hard to convince myself now

So glad to hear your throat is ok! I have an obsession with my throat myself, its always flemmy and sometimes hurts or feels numb. no one can ever see anything and its very hard for me to eat sometimes because I fear I'll choke.
    Keep hanging in there, it has to get better

I had the same thing happen to me recently with pretzels at the theater. My throat was sore for a few days and felt at times like stuff wasn't going down well. It's feeling better now. I think my problem was irritationin my throat because I'd been raking outside and I have pollen and mold allergies. But anyway, I don't think a sore throat is a symptom of cancer. Ithink I've read that m ost the time people with cancer don't really even have symptoms. I feel pretty confident that you don't have cancer. Do you have any acid reflux problems? That could cause those feelings due to irritation of the esophagus. Hope I was able to he lp you feel a little better

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information