Thread: Change of medication

Unhappy Please help!!!!! Change of medication

Hello all,

I would like to share my story and have your opinions, if possible, please...
    I have been on paroxetine 20mg for around 15 years for GAD and panic attacks.
    Paroxetine worked really well and did its job. However, now and then I would get spouts of anxiety and panic attacks which lasted anything between 6 months to 18 months. I had never had a change of medication during these times. Once they were gone, they were gone for a few years.
    My last episode started January 2013. I went to a psychiatrist who basically told me that the paroxetine wasn't working anymore and that I needed to start a new medication. In order to do that I had to wean off the paroxetine very slowly and she gave me pregabaline 25mg 3 times a day to help me with the withdrawal symptoms of the paroxetine. At the same time I also started CBT.
    As my intake of paroxetine was getting lower I could feel my anxiety spiralling but I had learn to cope with it thanks to CBT. The pdoc decided to up the pregabaline to 50mg 3 times a day.
    I managed to go down to 10mg of paroxetine a week and by then I was on 300mg pregabaline a day. I felt great, on top of the world... for about a week! Then everything started to go wrong. My anxiety is through the roof and my panic attacks are non stop. I can't sleep at night, keep on waking up in waves of panic, feel very up and down, I don't feel safe at my own home or on my own. I Feel very angry and agitated all the time. I also keep on having very disturbing thoughts which that has never happened to me before. My husband had to rang an ambulance the other day because I thought it was the end of my days. I feel like I am in a very, very dark place and I can't get out! I have 2 young children and I cannot function properly as I can't do school runs or after school clubs. This is not only affecting me but my family as well.
    I rang my pdoc on Tuesday and she organised an appointment to go and see one of her colleagues as she wasn't available. Both docs decided that it would be good for me to start on Duloxetine and wean off the pregabaline.
    I am very confused now, I don't think I have the strength to try a new medication and running the risk of not working again. I feel I should go back to paroxetine and perhaps up my dose a little when I have times of struggle. I have learnt different coping mechanisms from CBT and I practise relaxation, meditation and yoga. These made all the difference. Paroxetine did not give any side effects and i was always happy despite my occasional panic attacks and anxiety.
    I have made an appointment with another psychiatrist for a second opinion.
    What are your thoughts?
    Thanks
    Last edited by Lluna; 27-04-14 at 12:42.

Thread Information