Thread: Bendroflumethiazide Omeprozole - Magnesium deficiency

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Bendroflumethiazide Omeprozole - Magnesium deficiency

Hi there, first time posting here. Having read various posts regarding the connection between anxiety/panic and magnesium deficiency, I felt I would like to share my story.

Having been recovered from agorophobia for the past 10 years and leading a relatively normal life (still have anxiety but not the debilitating panic attacks) I have seemingly out of the blue been hit with horrendous panic again, to the point the very thought of leaving the house brings on a whole host of symptoms. I also suffer from dyspepsia for which I take omeprozole, and also bendroflumethiazide for fluid retention in foot. Anyway I have discovered those 2 meds together can cause magnesium deficiency, and levels should be monitored, not something my GP has ever mentioned to me, but something I will be mentioning at my app tomorrow. With hindsight, I prob have had symptoms of deficiency, ie joint/muscle pain, eye twitches, sensitivity to noise, all of which I put down to possible menopause (as did my GP, levels are normal though). Yesterday, I was feeling pretty awful, ate a banana, which took the edge off my anxiety, not for long though, took a couple of Calcium and Mag tabs which I had in house, and felt loads better! I have now ordered the better you magnesium oil so will see how that goes and let you know. In my opinion i'd say low magnesium levels do play a part in anxiety disorders.

Anyone else had similar experiences with those meds or even just omeprozole as that one seems to be the biggest offender.

Re: Bendroflumethiazide Omeprozole - Magnesium deficiency

I'm not surprised at all. Good for you for figuring it out. Most people are magnesium deficient these days so certainly if you're taking medication that can make it worse you should definitely take a supplement. Even if you're not it's recommended that you take 200mg per day. I'm surprised doctors don't take more notice of this. I'm in the camp of believing that the root of anxiety is probably in mineral and vitamin deficiencies caused by various factors.

I don't know what it's like over there Lilharry but in the UK our GP's only seem interested in medication.

I've had GAD for 7 years and no one has ever asked anything about my diet other than whether I'm eating enough meals, not whether I'm eating the right meals. They only ask about exercise due to the proven benefits to health.

I think our GP's are woefully behind the times when it comes to mental health and physical fitness. The last person I would ever advise someone to see about nutrition & fitness would be a GP, many of which don't look like they practice it themselves.

If you ever need advice on medication, you always ask a pharmacist, not a GP.

Our country is also poor in terms of working hours compared to the rest of Europe...we are just way behind our continental friends when it comes to wellbeing.

It's exactly the same here. I agree, the last person I would recommend for dietary advice is a doctor!

I have been taking a Water pill every day for 11 years,since a Stroke,combined with a Blood pressure pill.
    Recently,I am wondering if I need the daily dose,as now in my 70's,and am waking every 20 minutes during the night to urinate.
    This is making me feel weak,Any help or advice please

Thread Information