Thread: What medicine? Rapidly pounding heart at night, hypnic jerk

What medicine? Rapidly pounding heart at night, hypnic jerk

Hi all,

I hope you are doing well.

I was sick for close to a month, and just recently got better (sinusitis, sore throat, fever cleared on Tuesday).

I during the final days of the illness however, I developed some anxiety symptoms that got really bad pretty fast:
    Sunday - a tight chest, didn't really bother me much, ok night's sleep 7 hrs.
    Monday night - stayed awake most of the night and got only 4 hrs of sleep, not sure why, perhaps anxious.
    Tuesday night - took some melatonin, dropped dead for 6 hrs straight but woke up with a crazy pounding chest and repeated adrenaline rush that kept me awake the rest of the night.
    Last night - went to bed with great sleep hygiene, after rolling around on the bed for 4 hrs with no sign of sleep, the pounding heart came back with a vengeance (obviously, I got scared, kinda ashamed ). Plus I started getting hypnic jerks where every time I seems to starting to fall asleep my limps/breathing jerks me awake. 0 hrs of sleep

I am completely spent, have some mild tension in the head, and some blurring in my right eye (too little sleep for some one who just recovered from a second fever of the month). The weird thing is that I'm super fatigued but not sleepy (I took two days of Zyrtec, Saturday and Sunday, I don't think it's the side effect right?).

I know I'm just getting really anxious and getting some some serious symptoms. But I'm sure if I can get some sleep I'll just start recovering.

Should I:

a). get some sleeping pills/depressant from urgent care and knock myself out for 10 - 12 hrs for today and tomorrow? should I be worried about side effects?
    b). call my doctor and get anxiety medications (but I've only shown symptoms for 4 days, is that necessary)?
    c). tough it out, since this just showed up and have no evidence for being chronic, I'd have to fall asleep at some point.

Thanks so much!

Cescante
    Last edited by Cescante; 01-05-14 at 16:49.

Re: What medicine? Rapidly pounding heart at night, hypnic jerk

Quote Originally Posted by Cescante View Post
    Hi all,

I hope you are doing well.

I was sick for close to a month, and just recently got better (sinusitis, sore throat, fever cleared on Tuesday).

I during the final days of the illness however, I developed some anxiety symptoms that got really bad pretty fast:
    Sunday - a tight chest, didn't really bother me much, ok night's sleep 7 hrs.
    Monday night - stayed awake most of the night and got only 4 hrs of sleep, not sure why, perhaps anxious.
    Tuesday night - took some melatonin, dropped dead for 6 hrs straight but woke up with a crazy pounding chest and repeated adrenaline rush that kept me awake the rest of the night.
    Last night - went to bed with great sleep hygiene, after rolling around on the bed for 4 hrs with no sign of sleep, the pounding heart came back with a vengeance (obviously, I got scared, kinda ashamed ). Plus I started getting hypnic jerks where every time I seems to starting to fall asleep my limps/breathing jerks me a awake. 0 hrs of sleep

I am completely spent, have some mild tension in the head, and some blurring in my right eye (too little sleep for some one who just recovered from a second fever of the month). The weird thing is that I'm super fatigued but not sleepy (I took two days of Zyrtec, Saturday and Sunday, I don't think it's the side effect right?).

I know I'm just getting really anxious and getting some some serious symptoms. But I'm sure if I can get some sleep I'll just start recovering.

Should I:

a). get some sleeping pills/depressant from urgent care and knock myself out for 10 - 12 hrs for today and tomorrow? should I be worried about side effects?
    b). call my doctor and get anxiety medications (but I've only shown symptoms for 4 days, is that necessary)?
    c). tough it out, since this just showed up and have no evidence for being chronic, I'd have to fall asleep at some point.

Thanks so much!

Cescante
    I would pay a visit to the Doctor as there are tons of non serious medical conditions that can cause anxiety symptoms such as hormone/thyroid imbalances, post viral syndromes etc etc. It's best to get those ruled out first.

Any form of anxiety medication should be used as a last resort in my opinion as it's much better to be able to cope with what can happen than worry about something coming back or worrying if the meds will work.

Re: What medicine? Rapidly pounding heart at night, hypnic jerk

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    I would pay a visit to the Doctor...

Any form of anxiety medication should be used as a last resort...
    Noted, thanks for the fast response!

Thread Information