Thread: Off fluoxetine, all going well......

Off fluoxetine, all going well......

Since you don't often read positive stories about withdrawing from SSRI's, I thought you might like to know how I have been getting on. Over the last decade I have been on & off fluoxetine, initially taking it for depression & subsequently taking it over winter because of SAD. Each Spring I'd gradually come off it, knowing that if things got tough over Winter, I had something to fall back on.

Last year I didn't take a break from it because I had a lot going on, much of it not good so this time round I wanted to come off it now that Spring is here. I didn't really want to come off since it really helps keep my mood even, especially as I am plagued with PMT which can make me feel very angry & change my mindset totally. The downside of coming off it is that my PMT gets worse bit I am doing other things to help with that. They seem to be helping.

Well I am now 100% off it, having spent several weeks slowly cutting down. I have been so busy at work I kept forgetting to take it so in the end I decided the time was right for a break. I prefer not to stay on it more than a year if possible & less than that if I can manage it.

In terms if withdrawal, I get a bit of a funny head. I describe it as I turn my head and then my brain catches up a few seconds later. It's not dizziness. It's not light-headedness either. I find this only lasts a couple of weeks & is made worse if I am tired but really it is a very small price to pay when you consider how fluoxetine helps me through the Winter & with other things.

So, on the face of it .... Fluoxetine is my friend. It gives me a lift when I really need it and in terms if side-effects, they are minor, so you can take heart from my story because it is one of success.

Re: Off fluoxetine, all going well......

Thanks for the positive post on fluoxetine, Tessar! I am new to this forum and new to fluoxetine. I have been taking 20 mg for about 5 weeks now and this website has brought much comfort during that time. All of my anxiety and panic is not completely gone, but I feel like I am steadily moving forward. The depression, which came about because of the anx and panic is pretty much gone and I feel so much better than I did a month ago. My doctor told me that we could bump the meds up to 40 milligrams to help anx and panic go away, but because of the things I've read on this website about the meds taking 6 to 8 weeks to reach their full effect, I told doc that I would like to give it a little more time. What has been your experience with the length of time it takes for fluoxetine to reach full effect? Thanks in advance! :-)
    Last edited by Deepthinker; 02-05-14 at 02:26.

Well done on coming of it Tessar and I am pleasef the symptoms from coming of it have been minimul.

Smile Re: Off fluoxetine, all going well......

Well done Tessar and good luck with PMT

Believe with all your heart that you will do what you were made to do
    Orison Swett Marden

I'm fine about not being on the fluoxetine my more bit the pmt is not at all pleasant. I guess it does demonstrate that the drugs were doing their job, both in helping me thro the winter and (as a byproduct) keeping the bad side if my hormones at bay, looking into taking rhodiola in the lead up to each period & hope that takes the edge off it.

That's great news Tessar.

I was on Prozac for four years.

I used to get those head things.

That's interesting about the head things. I am still getting them but wasn't sure if its just I am a bit tired. Anyway it's nothing I can't deal with. Are u off it now as well?

Oh yeh, I've been off for a number of years now.

Head things, everything gone.

Thread Information