Thread: Does birth control help PMS?

Does birth control help PMS?

Hey, I had a bit of a breakdown last October- At that point it was totally different from PMS and was definitely completley separate. I was diagnosed with GAD. I'm 15weeks into my medication and although generally better, I am noticing a big pattern. I feel extra anxious and low around the time I must ovulate...and leading up to the days I am due on. I never used to be like this. I'm only 22years old, had my son when I was just 19 (he's now 3) and I feel like this female issues are whats really prolonging my complete recovery from anxiety. Just when I feel much better, I begin to feel absolutely terrible again leading up to my period..which is also ALWAYS late...which just prolongs the torture even more! I was thinking of going back to the doctor to see what he reckons, and actually ask if I could have my hormone levels tested as thyroid problems do run in my family. I was wondering though if my hormone levels are all okay....would birth control pills be something that might stop all this time of the month related anxiety!?

Re: Does birth control help PMS?

Definitely take this query to the doctor!

From memory, BCPs can help PMS symptoms. It's a good idea to get your blood work done to check your hormone levels.

From personal experience, BCPs made my anxiety and depression much worse. I also have PCOS, as a result, my hormones are imbalanced so this was a contributing factor. Although, I was put on BCP because of my PCOS. Also worth noting is that I was put on Yasmin which I believe is one of the stronger BCPs on the market.

However, it is very different for individuals and it may actually help you.

Best bet is to discuss this with your doctor as he is the professional here and will do what he thinks is best for you!

Hopefully you can find a solution to this :-)

Thanks for the quick reply. It may be that I haven't actually got anything wrong with my hormones and it's just because I'm a bit more sensitive to mood changes that I'm noticing it more. It just really stumps my progress, because generally I think my anxiety is usually much better and feel like I'm on my way out of this hell...and then I suddenly have these massive dips in mood which sets off my anxiety and it's becoming so noticeable that it is hormone related which triggers me off..

I had done a bit of research about all the different birth control pills, and yes found that a few women did find that it doesn't really help.. infact just made them feel more low. I just find it soooo annoying that I never had this problem before, but it's a huge problem now!

I'm also concerned that my doctor will just refuse to check my hormone levels as he'll think I'm just clutching at straws. He's normally quite good but I do worry he'll just think I'm being silly! xx

Sounds like you know what you're doing!

Have you been tested for thyroid issues before? If not, bring that up with him, because you never know! And something like that can be easily fixed.

I'm sure your doctor will do the right thing by you!

No I have never been tested. I've had all the main vitamin deficiency tests but they were all normal. The thyroid issues are on my mums side of the family. My nan and aunt both had thyroid problems. My mum doesn't have a thyroid problem but I don't suppose that gives me the all clear. Its possible I could have a thyroid problem. It would in no way be something to be happy about but at least it would prove why I feel so awful and it could be treated.

Thanks for your reply. Will make an appointment asap....knowing my surgery that'll be a 3week wait! Lol

You'll never know unless you try to find out!

And yeah i know, but I'm pretty sure there is some medication that will fix the thyroid issue or make is more manageable.

And wow, 3 week wait? that sucks. Here in Australia, I can see a GP same day, thank god!

That's good! You only get to see a doctor the same day if its an absolute emergency and even then its usually with a rubbish doctor you've never seen before. But yeah its likely to be the end of may when I actually get to see a doctor even if I book tomorrow! Lol

I suppose it's better than not being able to see one at all!

Thread Information