Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stop poking and prodding!

Stop poking and prodding!

Today I need to really reign in my poking and prodding. Because the bump that is bothering me is in my mouth, it's all too easy for me to be constantly feeling it with my tongue ... seeing if it's bigger, etc. As I've been doing this, I am convincing myself it is bigger even though it isn't. I'm also making it raw.

All logic, from my previous post and from other posters, tells me it is fine so I need to stop touching it.

So it's a new day here, and although I am already touching it constantly, I am going to stop and see how I do today.

Does anybody have advice on how to stop poking/prodding? How did you get over that?

Re: Stop poking and prodding!

I was at the dentist last week because I could feel a little gap with my tongue and thought a filling had come out. The reality was that the tooth had just moved slightly. My Dentist said I must have really high sensitivity to have noticed it. The thing is with anxiety sufferers we doing have heightened sensitivity so things that most other people would not notice at all, it seems like a huge thing to us

Quote Originally Posted by Annie0904 View Post
    I was at the dentist last week because I could feel a little gap with my tongue and thought a filling had come out. The reality was that the tooth had just moved slightly. My Dentist said I must have really high sensitivity to have noticed it. The thing is with anxiety sufferers we doing have heightened sensitivity so things that most other people would not notice at all, it seems like a huge thing to us
    my mother always tells me I am very in tune with my body unlike most people. she said most people wouldn't take any notice of the symptoms i get.

We really are overly sensitive. You're right. So far I am failing miserably at not prodding my bump. Maybe I should suck it up and go to the dentist but I have awful dentist phobia ... been 3 years :-/

If it is 3 years since you have been to the dentist yes you should go! If I can do it so can you I have a terrible phobia of the dentist but my dentist is lovely and calming.

I didn't have dental insurance for two of those years, but since getting on my husband's I can't bring myself to do it ... I will call after this meeting I have starting soon...

I will check up on you later to make sure you have

I have an appointment Tuesday morning ... ughhhh.

Well done!!! You will be fine (says I who gets in a state every time I go ) A lot of dentists are trained in anxiety control now. When you go in let your dentist know you are very anxious.

I will ... it's usually pretty obvious too lol ... I hate that I know I will be getting xrays and I also hate when they poke around with the stupid metal thing! It gives me chills and anxiety thinking about it. I know I won't feel better about this stupid bump until I go though, so it's better I do. UGH

---------- Post added at 10:38 ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 ----------

Well, I have officially poked this bump more than any other day even though I set out not to. There is nothing I can do about it right now, I have an appointment Tuesday, I have to let it go. It's supposed to be a good weekend ... my anniversary! I want to enjoy it and let it go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information