Thread: Mirtazapine - brain fog suddenly lifts?

Mirtazapine - brain fog suddenly lifts?

Hi all,

I was diagnosed for the first time with depression three weeks ago. I'd been worried about my health and having something seriously wrong with me and leaving my wife and kids alone (turns out nothing serious is wrong with me!), this in turn stopped me sleeping which morphed into me being worried about my sleep!
    I was waking every hour with my heart racing, which led me to a psychotherapist who in turn said I was depressed and put me on 15mg of mirtazapine. I was on that for two weeks and am now on day 4 of 30mg. I guess he was right, I had the classic symptoms of not seeing my friends as much and wanting to get home - so worried was I about getting a good night's sleep as it was affecting my work.. Still not totally convinced but am trying to accept it as it's holding back my recovery.

It's a weird drug. I am sleeping a little better waking 3 or 4 times but manage to get back to sleep. The strange thing for me is the brain fog. For the past couple of days it's been there constantly but it can lift quite suddenly, I feel a sensation above my left eye and the fog lifts. I do get a bit dizzy after this though. Has anyone else experienced the lifting of the fog like this? What are your fog lifting experiences?

Thanks all.

Re: Mirtazapine - brain fog suddenly lifts?

Hello, am on mirt 45mg, been on mirt since Jan 14. Can identify with the sleep issues. Not really had the brain fog lifting experience, though sometimes feel a bit fuzzy.

Re: Mirtazapine - brain fog suddenly lifts?

Hi Gardenn,

I hope mirtazapine works out for you. Hopefully, the fog will clear - sometimes it takes a few weeks. Also, raising the dose actually can make you more alert during the day, but still help with sleep at night. It's a drug that works differently with different people, at different doses, so you have to experiment a bit to find out what works best for you (also what time of the day you take your doses and how much). Good luck, and keep in touch.

Thread Information