Thread: 2mg Diazepam for Acute Anxiety/Insomnia?

2mg Diazepam for Acute Anxiety/Insomnia?

Hi everyone,

I was prescribed a two week course of 2mg of Diazepam for insomnia - to be taken once a day before bed to help me sleep. I'm just wondering what time should I take the medication before bed? She didn't specify so I'm not entirely sure.

Also, I'm aware that 2mg is a very low dose, and I'm worried that this won't have much of an effect. Would it be safe to take 4mg if this is the case? I will definitely try 2mg first though, as I wouldn't like to increase my dose if I don't need to!
    Last edited by Jsp; 13-05-14 at 17:25.

Re: 2mg Diazepam for Acute Anxiety/Insomnia?

A paramedic advised me that 3 a day was fine as I asked if I could take 2 together and he said it was fine .

thanks for your reply!

I took 2mg at 12am - it's now 2.40am and I'm still awake :/ I'm not sure if I should take another or not?

I can't imagine 2mg would go very far to be honest, it is a pretty low dose. Not that valium is really the best medication to take for sleep anyway.

Probably the doc doesn't actually want to prescribe enough to knock you out (and possibly start a reliance) but rather enough to make you a bit calmer, so nature can takes its course.

You haven't said if there is any cause for the insomnia. Are there issues here that can be addressed?

2mg has done absolutely nothing! I doubled my dose to 4mg hasn't done anything either... I'm not really happy right now as I needed something to help me sleep before my upcoming exams :(

Quote Originally Posted by hanshan View Post
    Probably the doc doesn't actually want to prescribe enough to knock you out (and possibly start a reliance) but rather enough to make you a bit calmer, so nature can takes its course.

You haven't said if there is any cause for the insomnia. Are there issues here that can be addressed?
    I have always had trouble with insomnia - sometimes I lay awake all night and just can't sleep. Others nights I feel are related to anxiety, and sometimes it's paplitations which keep me up all night.

Strangely I find that the diazepam seems to work better on the following day

Its easy to "wait for it to work" if that makes sense. I find if I wrap up and keep the room dimmish and at a comfortable temperature it helps me relax and then the diazepam takes over

I normally take 6mg as needed, it can be a bit hit and miss but I think thats the nature of the drug and how we perceive its effects

Hope that helps

When it comes to medication, I'd advise you to talk to your doctor about dosing. Diazepam works best for me when I reserve it for when it's absolutely necessary. As in, I know I'll be ill because of anxiety but I have to function, or there's an exam tomorrow and I can't end up in A&E now.

2mg is a low dose, but unless you're used to the medication, it should be sufficient. I find it works best when I take it a few hours before bed (3-4 hours) and REALLY chill out. If I take it right before bed, I won't sleep. I guess because it's hard to go from anxious to sleeping soundly in 20 minutes flat, medication or not.

It works pretty well for me to stop anxious thoughts from keeping me awake, but if it's just plain old insomnia, it doesn't do much and something else helps more.

Good luck with the exams!

There are other benzodiazepines and "z" drugs which are better for insomnia than diazepam, but they quickly become addictive, which is probably why your doctor is wary of prescribing them.

Some anxiety and sleeplessness before exams is normal. Are you suffering anxiety and sleeplessness when there is no external stress?

I take mirtazapine, an AD which is also beneficial for sleep (although a common side effect is weight gain).

Im currently taking a short course of zopiclone as diazipam was rubbish when my head wouldnt switch off. It is very good for a good 6hrs sleep maybe ask about zopiclone.

Thread Information