Thread: And the world's worst GP award goes to...

And the world's worst GP award goes to...

I posted a couple weeks ago about my anxiety hitting me in a bad way when I got a diagnosis of hypothyroidism. I've had two weeks of feeling low, panicky, and last night my heart palpitations were so bad that I didn't sleep at all. I made an appointment with my GP today and when I was in the middle of explaining some my fears, he said, 'Why do you worry? What's the worst that could happen?' I said, 'I could die.' (A bit melodramatic, but we all know how anxiety makes us obsess about worst case scenarios). His response - 'We all have to die sometime.' But to top it off, when I mentioned I worry about my husband's diabetes, he said, 'You'll get diabetes too if you keep worrying like this!'

How could he say that to me? Knowing I have major health anxiety already?

Long story short, he has decided to up my dose of Mirt. from 7.5 to 15 mgs. Hope this helps. I'm feeling so broken and low.

Re: And the world's worst GP award goes to...

More to the point, has this doctor got your hypothyroidism under control? An under active thyroid can cause palpitations and sap energy, making panics never far away. I was diagnosed a few years ago myself and take thyroxine and although blood tests always show normal levels now, I still get the symptoms and can't seem to shift the weight. But it was mean of him to say you'd be next with diabetes if you carry on worrying...anxiety doesn't cause diabetes for goodness sake so that was a bit unprofessional.

Hi Mum83,
    Your doctor is mean :(
    I hope you are ok...are you on anything for your anxiety?
    I have started taking cipralex 5mg, awful side effects to begin with, also I use propanalol beta blocker to reduce the anxiety symptoms once a day lasts for about 5 hours, I asked my doctor for it as I heard about it whilst doing some research
    I have anxiety++++ and also under active thyroid, I have suffered off and on for years with anxiety ever since I had my thyroid removed about 24 years ago now.
    I am sure my levels are not controlled but the blood tests are apparently spot on.
    Hope this has helped in some way even only to know you are not alone...sending you a hug

Jenny, I also take propranolol as well as the thyroxine and asked the pharmacist about the effects of taking both and he said to take the thyroxine half hr before breakfast and the prop half hr after so they don't cancel each other out. Like you I feel my thyroid isn't under control but the blood tests are always ok. Apparently there is another test that delves deeper into levels but its never suggested

Thanks for your replies. I had a week of terrible anxiety before I even started levothyroxine. GP wanted me to start at 50 but I was too scared so another GP said start on 25mcg. I have been taking 25 for 19 days now. I can't win anxiety wise. I'm now afraid I am not taking enough Levothyroxine, yet my heart palpitations were the reason I was afraid to start on 50.

I still get some 'missed beats and flutters' but the propranolol seems to make them less frequent and severe (the propranolol was prescribed for high bp originally), but I don't know whether the palps would be worse or better if I was only taking levothyroxine and nothing else. I have been on 50mgs since diagnosis in 2010 but can't remember my readings now. All the other symptoms remain...breathless walking up stairs etc, but that could be down to the weight gain and I know I'm not fit. Also thinning eyebrows and lashes, no hairs on legs...considered a positive I have to say!

Its hard to know what symptom is down to which medication though, but out of all of them the continued weight gain is the most devastating since I've gained an extra 56 lbs over the last 4 years, that's 14lbs for each year So 50mgs of levothyroxine hasn't really helped me but it might help you, but like you I'm scared to increase the dose as it just might cause more problems for my sensitive heart...we can't win can we

ISB x

ISB, thank you for responding again. It helps to hear from someone who understands this issue. It's been very hard having to come to terms with the fact that my old dose of Mirtazapine isn't working anymore, and that there is something wrong with my thyroid. Sigh. I'll be taking 15 Mirt. again tonight. It's made a huge difference. The heart palpitations have significantly lessened.

I've got an appointment with a counsellor on Monday - makes me feel a bit better.

What a complete tool

Most Gps are

It took me 12 years to find my GP and she is brilliant

Would it be possible to see a different one? I found "shopping" around to be the only effective method

Nutjob, I have thought many times of finding a new GP. Where we live though, there's not much choice and I don't have a car. The nurse at our practice is lovely though, and she's a prescribing nurse, so I think I will stick to her from now on!

Thread Information