Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warm weather sending my anxiety sky-high

Warm weather sending my anxiety sky-high

Hi everyone , hope you're all ok.

I was surprised (and frustrated) with how warm it was today (for most of the UK) and its the time of the year when my anxiety is at its worst.

Big changes in weather/seasons definitely make me feel more anxious. When the bright nights started this year it made me feel more anxious than normal. The warm weather makes me feel very uncomfortable which then makes me feel irritable, very irritable then I start to feel very anxious and on-edge.

The hot weather makes me sweat a lot too, I hate germs, sweat etc because of my OCD so I can be even more anxious and irritable. Sometimes, I hardly get any sleep because of the warm weather, its so uncomfortable even at night . The next day I'll be very snappy, irritable and negative.

Even after showering, about 30 mins- 1 hour later and Im sweating as much as I did in the day. It wasn't like that today but Im feeling very anxious that its only around the corner.

I suppose another reason this weather makes me feel like this is I think most people around my age will be with their friends enjoying themselves.

Just makes me feel depressed, like I'm the only one stuck at home with only my family to talk to. I wouldn't go out because of the weather and my social anxiety issues.

Then theres bees and wasps, I'm terrified of them

Im not sure if I suffer from SAD, last winter the dark nights made me feel depressed. The summer makes me feel more anxious, depressed than the winter though. I'm feeling very worried about the next few months when its going to be the same or getting warmer. I can't control my anxiety and thoughts.

Wish I could go and live in Antarctica

Should I check with my therapist when I see them again if I may suffer from SAD ?

Is anyone else feeling like this or similar ?

Thanks for reading x
    Last edited by Ryan92; 17-05-14 at 02:42.

Re: Warm weather sending my anxiety sky-high

SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) is associated with the winter rather than the summer. This is because the shorter days and generally miserable weather prohibits the release of hormones in the brain which keeps us awake and alert and, instead, keeps people induced in a state of sleep and fatigue. If the hot weather causes you problems then by all means speak to a medical professional about it.

All I can suggest is to keep cool by using fans, cool sprays and cool showers. Wear cotton and linen clothes rather than wool and purchase a duvet with a lower tog rating (or just use a blanket). Naps in the day helps too if the heat gets unbearable.

I do hear you when you say about others enjoying the weather whilst you're not. Myself and my friends have education and work commitments, I am married whilst they have boyfriends who they see regularly. So, yes, I can get low when I'm feeling lonely, but I try to get out of the house for at least 10 minutes, even if it's a trip to the postbox, shops or just a walk. If you suffer from the heat then I suggest going in the morning or late evening when it's cooler and fresher. I also have an allergy to wasp or bee stings so I remain particularly vigilant during this time of year and try to have insect spray at arms reach. Then there's hay fever!!

Sorry I couldn't be much more help.

ERB 14/01/2016 Forever missed, forever in our hearts, my baby angel girl

Every year I have a picnic with my friends and every year there is a moment where we are all sat down laughing and chatting then a wasp comes over and we all run away... argh.

Having a bowl/cups of ice and then aiming a fan into them will cool a room down.
    Also if you have curtains keeping them closed may keep some of the heat out xx

I was about to post a thread about the very same thing, as it's really put me in an awful mood today. Seems like you got there first! I can relate to a lot of things you've said, especially the moving to Antarctica bit... I've really taken cold weather for granted these last few months. But anyway, I found working today in hot weather absolutely awful. I work in quite a busy supermarket that doesn't have air-conditioning, and tends to turn into a greenhouse in the summer months, so I usually begin melting a few minutes after I've started a shift. ;( I always notice my colleagues are always able to deal with the heat, and aren't obsessed with covering up their sweat-marks. Sigh.

What's worse is I serve a lot of people who are buying things for parties, dressed how they like, not trying to cover up sweating. And as pleasant as most of them are, I can't help but feel like an outsider. As well as very, VERY jealous. Silly, really.

I've been diagnosed with moderate SA, and tried CBT, which helped for a little while, but then things kind of caught up with me again. While your symptoms do sound a lot like SA to me, everyone is different, and you might want to talk to your GP or therapist about it... they're sometimes very helpful, sometimes not so much...

In regards to sweating, I've tried a few things to stop the one that bothers me the most - facial sweating. There's Odaban, which works okay-ish in mild stressful situations, anything above that and it's open the floodgates. ;/ Maxim is pretty good, but tends to sting a lot once you start sweating - red irritated skin, urgh. Bit hit and miss with those two. :S

Anyway, I'm told the heat wave is ending on Monday, so we can breathe a sigh of relief for a bit. If you've got any questions about SA, feel free to ask, it's a very old friend of mine.

I have the opposite problem because my palpitations seem worse when its really cold, not just chilly but when its shivery cold...I guess its then down to a change in breathing which could be why you feel more anxiety in the heat perhaps as changes in breathing patterns affects heart rate. Hot weather doesn't affect me surprisingly, except like you with the wasps as I react badly to stings and bites. Bees are great though so don't be nervous about them, they just humble about doing their thing with the flowers and honey and won't bother you

Sounds terrible, but I'm really glad I am not the only one - I've been in a right state today! Instead of being able to enjoy the weather like everyone else seems to, I'm shaky, irritable and feel like I'm going to explode.

Thank you everyone for your replies, nice to know I'm not the only one and it's nice to hear some of you are enjoying the weather

Today was ok, managed to walk our dog and it was surprisingly less warm than I expected.

Maybe another reason I'm feeling more anxious is because I'm not very good with coping with changes in my life, mainly due to my issues. I suppose it's understandable for some to be anxious when the temperature takes a sudden jolt upwards.

Thanks for your advice/suggestions etc

Im really suffering today, unable to eat anything and my stomach keeps sending me to the bathroom every half hour. I have a fan on and sipping ice cold drinks but I still feel awful and really worried if I can make it to work tomorrow in this heat

I feel the same when the weather or seasons change. I think it's because when you suffer from anxiety, adapting to changes is a lot harder than it is for other people. Even if it's a simple change like weather or seasons. Also feeling hot makes you feel more anxious too, which doesn't help. Hang in there, mine always passes within a few days of different weather or seasons and I'm sure yours will too I hate when the time changes though! That's never fun.

Lightbulb Re: Warm weather sending my anxiety sky-high

Thank you for your replies and understanding nice to know I'm not the only one

I've been struggling to eat normally today and I've been very irritable I worry that my anxiety is going to increase even more, with summer around the corner I don't know how I'm going to cope.

Tomorrow I have a dentist appointment, I'm dreading going out because of the heat, suppose I'm just going to have to go, I'll be ok (I hope lol) I think its maybe a little anticipatory anxiety and social anxiety as I'm anxious around other people.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information