Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why does a mood do this

Angry Why does a mood do this

I was just feeling good singing out loud , as you do , then all of a sudden my mood dropped and I thought , 'what's the point'. I get this most day's of the week so I am not new to this but I just wanted to know why this would happen to someone , I ain't got a clue , it would also be nice to know if I can prevent this from happening. I doubt I can as it happens quiet often during the week it's like it's become a part of who I am but that doesn't mean it's any easier to handle , far from it. I could be doing anything when this happens and I'll just give up what I was doing

Re: Why does a mood do this

have you seen a therapist? They could give you insight into why this happens and tips to get around it.

I have this happen too. I will feel really great and then have an abrupt mood swing. I think it's because we aren't used to feeling good and a part of us is skeptical that we CAN be happy.

When these things happen to me, I try to take a minute to take a deep breath and try to listen to the part that is skeptical or sad. Why is is sad, why is it skeptical,etc. Then I remind myself that I was just happy so I CAN do it. It's like retraining your brain and reminding that part that is sad that it doesn't always have to be that way.

That's what works for me at least.

Yes I've had therapy and counselling but neither seemed to work. I gave both a try but it felt like they where trying to dig up a past I never had which made me worse because it felt like they weren't really listening to me , true or not I don't know , but seriously they kept referring to my past and kept asking if I've had a bad past. Which I never I grew up with a loving family but they seemed keen to not believe that someone sometimes can just be depressed regardless of an upbringing which is why I don't fully like CBT

I'm on mirtazapine for mood swings that you mentioned above and I'm still struggling with them. I wish I knew why.

ERB 14/01/2016 Forever missed, forever in our hearts, my baby angel girl

Quote Originally Posted by I'mdave27 View Post
    Yes I've had therapy and counselling but neither seemed to work. I gave both a try but it felt like they where trying to dig up a past I never had which made me worse because it felt like they weren't really listening to me , true or not I don't know , but seriously they kept referring to my past and kept asking if I've had a bad past. Which I never I grew up with a loving family but they seemed keen to not believe that someone sometimes can just be depressed regardless of an upbringing which is why I don't fully like CBT
    But you did have a painful past didn't you. Did you not say you were bullied ?

Yes I was bullied but I deal with that. When I'm in a mood swing I don't think of the bullies or about being bullied I'm sorry I just don't see the link , unless I'm blind. If I'm doing washing up or watching a film then I suddenly think 'what's the point' that comes with a low mood I just don't see how that's linked to bullying ? Or even past trauma. When my dad was seeing his therapist he had the same thing with the moods , my mum has it and my brothers. All of us has been and some of us are still on AD's

I agree with swgrl09 in what she says about doubting our happiness when we feel it. I know I do that, which is why I get the mood swings. The more you think and anticipate them, the more they'll come . I know its hard not to, but I just don't worry about them and do something else that makes me feel accomplished or useful. Also exercise helps. Another thing with anxiety is that an adrenaline rush can make you feel suddenly happy before you feel really anxious or low, so that could be happening too. I get the same thing though and they always pass and don't turn into anything major so I don't worry about them.

But I don't anticipate them ?

Quote Originally Posted by I'mdave27 View Post
    Yes I was bullied but I deal with that. When I'm in a mood swing I don't think of the bullies or about being bullied I'm sorry I just don't see the link , unless I'm blind. If I'm doing washing up or watching a film then I suddenly think 'what's the point' that comes with a low mood I just don't see how that's linked to bullying ? Or even past trauma. When my dad was seeing his therapist he had the same thing with the moods , my mum has it and my brothers. All of us has been and some of us are still on AD's
    I never said it had anything to do with your mood swings. I was referring to you saying the therapists you've seen asked you if there'd been any pain in your past. You said it annoyed you because it hadn't but that's what they always asked. But you HAVE had painful events in your past, bullying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information