Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More money problems - or rather, what's on my money

More money problems - or rather, what's on my money

Hi guys,

I've been good recently but I've just encountered my fifth moment of panic of the day - this one potentially the biggest.

I just got some money from the cash point - a £10 note - this particular one had obvious blood lines across the top - it's clear it had been rolled up and used to snort drugs.

I've just finished reading a Wikipedia article which states how "literally thousands" of people could become infected unknowingly from contaminated currency
    (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contami..._contamination)

Desperate for some advice guys, feeling pretty low right now :(

Re: More money problems - or rather, what's on my money

Ahhhh wish I didnt see this.... its going to take my fear of contamination to a new level.!!!

Sooo, as you tell from my reaction, I have a huge thing about contamination, no advise really, but just know your not alone!

I've always been worried about identity theft from using my bank card so often - suddenly
    I feel I'd rather deal with sorting that out than contaminated money. What exactly are you scared of being contaminated with (I can't bring myself to read the article)? HIV for use won't survive on cash.

I think what they are suggesting is people who share the same bank note to snort with will get infected not people who just use the money.

Professor Graham Foster, of St Mary's Hospital, London, said: "Sharing banknotes or straws is a significant risk factor that people need to be more aware of. Although the risk of contracting hepatitis C through snorting is lower than through sharing a needle, it is still there."
    Unless you're doing that I don't think you need to worry at all

Sorry if this has panicked anyone else - really didn't mean to.

I'm scared of having caught Hep C. Granted I didn't put the £10 anywhere near my nose, but what about if I had touched the money then touched my nose? Or if I touched the money and then touched a cut on my finger?

Unless you put it directly into a wound then I don't think there is any risk. Even then your chances would still be pretty good.

According to what I have just looked up, the virus can survive for a minimum of 16 hours and a maximum of 4 days. So, if you look at the probabilities, you might get something like this:

* possibility of the substance on the note being blood - unknown - it could be a number of other things
    * possibility of the substance on the note being infected blood - there are approximately 215,000 people in the UK carrying hepatitis C, but the population is 60 million - so that's about 0.003% if I've calculated it correctly
    * possibility of the banknote still having active virus on it - unknown, but very low given the percentage of the population who are walking around with it

Therefore, I don't think it's worth worrying about, to be honest!

That's quite reassuring blueangel, thank you

I'm just scared because the marks were in a pattern as though the note had been rolled up and then used, and given that Hepatitis is prevalent among drug users I was sent into panic mode :(

Those of you with this fear just give it to me! I'll fill a swimming pool full of cash and dive right in, roll around in it and take a bath That's a good dirty and worth the .00001% chance of catching something sinister

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Would you recommend me for testing for Hep C/B? If so, when? All the information displayed online is confusing, my fear is that I could develop chronic Hep C when it's too late

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information