Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: update sons lymph node

update sons lymph node

So I went to the dr for his lymph node in neck that has been there 3 months. He is 2. He now has a new one, lower neck (close to collar which stresses me. Dr says they feel like reactive nodes. They are just over a cm and feel mobile. But he will send him for ultrasound. If ultrasound is not conclusive a biopsy, but is is confident they are reactive.
    Anyway I am freaked out and not reassured. And I am freaking out my wife now.

Re: update sons lymph node

I read all of this as good news. Here's why: 1. The doctor has said normal, reactive nodes. They wouldn't say that if they weren't sure. 2. You are going to have an ultrasound, which will likely say the same thing, so more reassurance that your son is ok. 3. If all else fails, which is not likely, a biopsy which will tell you definitively.

But focus on number 1!!

Thanks, that helps : )

You know health anxiety.. I am focusing on biopsy, cancer, etc...

Robin,

I apologize in advance if this seems to be a little to brash. Your son has had the nodes since the end of January. In 4 months, if they were sinister, your son would be quite ill. The doctor has repeatedly reassured you and now, it seems, to reassure "you", he's sending a 2 year old to a hospital for a another scan and then possibly a biopsy? These are scary enough for an adult but for a 2 year old? He doesn't understand, especially if he's not feeling ill... I'm not saying don't do this, but I am saying it appears there's no reason to in light of what a medical professional has been saying.

I truly hope all turns out to be fine and I, like your doctor, believe it will be based solely on the fact that he's not acting sick and the opinion of the doctor. Two year olds are extremely energetic and resilient and the thing is, if he were ill, I really think you'd know it by now. If in fact all turns out fine, and I truly feel it will, please seek help with your anxiety. It's one thing to deal with it yourself, it's another to expose a young child to it. Please take a look at this thread posted today and give it some food for thought, especially in light of how your anxiety is now affecting your wife.

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=154702

Sending positive thoughts and prayers for a good outcome and healing.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I agree with Fishmanpa. My son has a lymph node behind his ear. I would lie if I said that it doesn't bother me. I've had my doc check it 3 times over the years. He said it's nothing each time. I only asked during check ups and spread out over time. I know if I booked an appointment and bought him in visually upset the doctor would send him for more tests. We really have to be careful with anxiety. It's not something we our kids to suffer from. This isn't coming from a place of judgement trust me. I worry about my kids all the time but we have to be careful with our actions. I have no doubt your little one is just fine.

I didn't go visually upset. My doc is young, and I think he was just explaining all the steps. But I focused on the wrong parts. Your advice is appreciated and well taken.

You know it's funny the younger doctors are much more likely to send for additional tests. My pedi for my kids was my doctor as a child. I trust him so fully it makes it easier. I asked a young nurse once to feel his node and she said to check it again during his next well visit. My doctor felt it and once again said it's nothing.

Well they called with our ultrasound date. It isn't for 2 months! Hopefully it means they don't think it is serious.
    Here is what doc said.

They are 1cm range
    soft and mobile
    and he appears healthy. He is super energetic, and plays all day long.
    \Often kids just have busy immune systems, and he may have them for year.

He then said that they would do ultrasound (I didn't ask for it) to rule out anything sinister & confirm they are reactive. But he said often kids that age don't sit still for the ultrasound, so depending on that, and what the ultrasound says, the next step would be biopsy - but a pediatrician ENT would coordinate that if necessary.

I have to think positive, and also not poke and prod him. I always want to feel him, especially the lower one because I am scared it is close to his collar bone (and Google says those lymphs are bad.

What does Dr. Google say about 1cm soft and mobile lymph nodes?

Obviously they don't consider this serious as two months is a long time off and he basically said what I said in my initial response. Please stop poking and prodding him and instead hug him and show him the love you obviously have for him. He's fine! Enjoy him while he's still a baby because before you know it, he'll be grown and you'll regret the fact you spent this time worrying as opposed to experiencing the joys of childhood.

Positive thoughts and prayers
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thanks. It is hard because I know a certain amount of concern is normal - after all he is my son and I love him. But it is when it turns into an obsession on my part that it is bad. I was in therapy for 2yrs, and it did help. But we know that the Dragon is never truly gone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information