Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time to go back to dr?

Time to go back to dr?

Hi everyone,

I have been on fluoxetine for severe depression and anxiety for just over 3 months, and the difference from how I was when I started is absolutely phenomenal. I have regained my will to live; I can sleep again; I mostly have the energy to go about my daily life; I have hope for the future; I do not feel as though the world is out to get me; I am enjoying things and am interested in things again.

However in the last week I have started to feel very tired in the evenings again and have been feeling intermittently sad and low for no real reason. I know that feeling sad sometimes is normal but I am concerned that if these are the first signs of a relapse than I should act quickly before it really takes hold again. I wonder whether all that might be needed is a dosage change or something, so am considering going back to the dr, but I don't want to waste their time if there is really nothing wrong.

Does anyone have any input? I would be interested to hear if people have had similar experiences.

All the best,
    Stella xx

Re: Time to go back to dr?

Hi Stella
    I think its definitely worth going back to your doc for a chat,even if its just for a bit of reassurance and a quick check in.
    I too,am recovering from a deep depression and anxiety with roughly the same time frame as yours,and although everybody's recovery is a different journey,I can relate a bit.
    I find,that in feeling better with the meds,its easy to overdo things and tire yourself.
    Its only natural to do this,as you want to put as big a distance between the depression and the present day,but its still a trial and error process.
    I find if i overtire the anxiety goes up.
    It may be that your meds need adjusting,and your doctor can advise with that.
    You're not wasting their time. Even if you come out with no change in meds,the support is good to have.
    I still go every couple of weeks or so to see mine,and that's alright with him.
    Even if if wasn't,I would still go,but see one of his colleagues who was more in tune with my needs.
    Depression is an illness to be taken just as seriously as any other,and so is the recovery period.
    Although my major depressive symptoms have gone,I am still getting to grips with the anxiety part,and the best amount of meds to deal with it.
    Well done,for getting to the point you're at now.
    Take care and best wishes

I wasn't on this med, but another SSRI. But around the 3 month mark I had very similar experiences. I was doing much better, but suddenly felt like things were going backwards a bit. I probably gave it 2-3 weeks to see if it was a blip that I would come out of before I went back. When I went back, my dosage was upped and I didn't have to go back again for a year because the next dose was perfect.

So I guess it's up to you really. Maybe just call them and see what they think?

Thank you aprilmoon and swgrl, it is really helpful to know your experiences.

aprilmoon, you are definitely right that it is easy to become a bit complacent or carried away with doing so much better and wear oneself out! I wish you all the best in your continued recovery

Hi Stella. I don't know if you have had a change to do any therapy or counselling, CBT perhaps? I would certainly look into this if not as it would be a more permanent solution than more fluoxetine.
    Sometimes because u r more busy and doing more now, you could get tired. Simply because u r getting on with life. Anyways, thinking in the shorter term, don't worry too much about a relapse as life itself has natural ups and downs.
    Besides you are clearly doing well generally speaking.
    I would certainly look into a therapeutic solution since as I say it is a more permanent way to resolve your issues.

Hi Tessar, thanks for your response!

Yes, I did eventually get to the top of the waiting list for counselling and went for 6 sessions beginning just after I started the fluoxetine. Maybe it helped a bit, I don't know, but the counsellor basically told me that she didn't think she could help more because there didn't seem to be a specific reason that I have been so depressed. She actually asked whether I was certain there was no organic cause but I had bloodwork done when this all started and nothing like that showed up...

I know that everyone has ups and downs and I am certainly not expecting to feel fine all the time, but I have just been a little concerned because there appears to be no reason for my feeling down again. If it does resolve on its own and turn out to be nothing more than a normal dip, well, so much the better

Sometimes if you see someone skilled at helping you unpick what's going in, there is a cause but it isn't that apparent.
    I wondered what on earth I was doing when I started seeing a therapist (that was over 10 years ago). I had no idea why I was so depressed. It was a bit of a journey but one well worth taking. Of late I have been seeing a counsellor again.its really helped me too. Because I have gained in confidence. I am learning to be more assertive,cit doesn't come naturally but I am getting ugh better at it, I feel more whole as a person. I see myself as an adult now & not stuck decades ago in my head thinking I am still a child & have no rights.

Of course,coffee some people there can be a biological reason for depression. Perhaps it is something inherited? It can happen out of the blue.

One way or another something that has really helped me is writing stuff down.
    In good or bad days.It helps me unpick, things. Also it is an outlet for my feelings.for instance, at my worst I really was bad, but I was able to write just how bad I felt. I was totally honest (as only I ever saw what I wrote). If I look back now and read some of it I feel quite shocked.
    I can see I really have come a very long way.
    There were days I could barely function at work. I was an emotional wreck.
    But I pieced it all back together, piece by piece. That's how I got to where I am now.

Sometimes it isn't as complicated as that.

You keep at it because it's worth it. Even if you don't "feel" like doing stuff, still try to.

Generally speaking if I make the effort to motivate myself... I feel better afterwards.
    Glad that I made the effort & didn't waste my day.

Also I read somewhere that motivation follows action. I suppose they mean by pushing yourself to do something, it gets a little easier the next time.
    So the more effort you make to get into something.... The more motivated you feel to get on with things.

have a smile on me..... And some more....
    Because u r worth it.

I agree with Tessar. I think there is usually a reason for depression or anxiety and you will find it with patience, time, persistence, and the right guidance from somebody skilled in helping.

I had to go through weekly therapy for a year to really figure out my depression and anxiety and begin to work on becoming a more "whole" person.

Tessar really wrote it all beautifully above, but just wanted to put my two cents in

Quote Originally Posted by swgrl09 View Post
    I agree with Tessar. I think there is usually a reason for depression or anxiety and you will find it with patience, time, persistence, and the right guidance from somebody skilled in helping.

I had to go through weekly therapy for a year to really figure out my depression and anxiety and begin to work on becoming a more "whole" person.

Tessar really wrote it all beautifully above, but just wanted to put my two cents in
    thank you swgrl that is a really kind comment and I appreciate it. I have baaaad pmt right now & this made me cry. doh. what a numpty eh?

I hope you feel better soon, Tessar! Have some chocolate, helps me all the time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information