Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Time to go back to dr?

Re: Time to go back to dr?

Feel much better 2nite thanku. I did hv a biccie with chocolate in :-)
    Been into town to do some clothes shopping for work. Went well tho I must admit everywhere I went people kept getting in my way! But I stayed calm.........
    That's the thing. When u feel down or sad or lethargic, getting out to do stuff really does help. I am glad I made the effort & I have new tops (lightweight to help keep me cool in summer) as a reward.

Glad you are feeling better I agree, when I feel the worst my husband will drag me out and it actually does help.

Thank you again Tessar for your awesome reply and I am glad you are feeling better today as well

So, an update on this - I went to the doctor on Tuesday and she told me that, just like asthma or something, depression can get worse for no apparent reason from time to time, and said that I should double my dose to 40mg and go back in a couple of weeks to confirm that it is working.

So my next question is... how long might I expect to wait before I can tell if it is working or not? It has been 5 days today and it definitely hasn't had any effect yet, so of course my messed up thoughts try and tell me that means it will never work at all and everything is hopeless. I know that's rubbish, but still...

I would give it a month honestly. It takes time for your body to adjust to a new dose. You might have some side effects but they will pass.

Okay, thanks a lot I have not had any side-effects so far (and even when I first started taking fluoxetine I only got noticeably more thirsty, that was it) so hopefully they will not be too bad with an increase either. Here's hoping...

Quote Originally Posted by -Stella- View Post
    So, an update on this - I went to the doctor on Tuesday and she told me that, just like asthma or something, depression can get worse for no apparent reason from time to time, and said that I should double my dose to 40mg and go back in a couple of weeks to confirm that it is working.

So my next question is... how long might I expect to wait before I can tell if it is working or not? It has been 5 days today and it definitely hasn't had any effect yet, so of course my messed up thoughts try and tell me that means it will never work at all and everything is hopeless. I know that's rubbish, but still...
    I am amazed they said to double your dose. I cant remember how long u have been taking it though but am surprised.
    I still feel that some other kind if intervention would be beneficial, such as therapy or counselling. Hope u r doing ok. I can't Imagine being in 40mg a day.
    I wonder if in terms of dose, whether there's a limit that after you go above a certain level .... it is no more effective than a lower dose anyway.
    It does take time to work and any change if dose can take time to become effective.

Sometimes it really is a case of riding it out. To achieve this I suggest doing everything u can to look after yourself. Plenty of fruit and veg. Lots of water. Exercise... Even if that's a 20min walk a day. There are so many simple things you can do which make you feel better or lift your mood. Getting into a new hobby or getting back into ones you already have.

I remember my therapist suggesting I did two things a day to lift my spirits. Those words are still with me decades down the line.
    I still make a point of doing something about it if I realise I am feeling more depressed than normal. I won't let the depression win. I reckon you won't either :-)

Hi Tessar, thanks for another top-quality reply I have been taking fluoxetine since the middle of February, so I have been on it for quite a while.

The most frustrating thing for me about my depression is that I can do all the things like making sure I eat well, exercise, do things that should be fun, but they do not seem to make me feel any better -- probably I would feel worse if
    I didn't eat or just sat around all day, but the worst thing is that everything that I know that I am interested in or enjoy when I am well only seems pointless and exhausting. I was so relieved when I first improved and found that I did still enjoy the things I used to!

Thanks again for your response, I hope you are doing well xx

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information