Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fear of Driving Car

Re: Fear of Driving Car

Well, maybe it wasn't perfect. But, I did get the car inside the lines.

Progress???
    I was in a situation where I had to drive the car today. Well, I didn't have to, but it made a difficult situation easier.
    Very shaky, coughing and choking, I drove the car on my own, in a busy Town and parked it in a car-park.
    Wow! I did it. Got out of the Car, no Panic Attack and felt quite normal. Waited a while afterwards for a delayed reaction, and nothing.
    Can't tell you how pleased I was. I did feel a little strange and was talking my way through what I was doing and reassuring myself that I was going to be ok, but this is a major breakthrough for me.
    You don't forget how to drive, it's just the nervousness and panic that we fear.

Carnation I'm so proud of you!!

Thank you Kimberley.
    This is the first time I have driven and been in the Car by myself for nearly 6 months! Not ready for everyday driving yet, but at least I know I can do it if shove comes to push. Had a strange feeling that everyone was looking at me strangely, but I didn't care, I stayed focused and went for it.

When I first started driving regularly into town further, I was so nervous of being in the way of other cars. Having a car behind me was enough to send me into panic mode. Still not perfect but it's workable now! And a lot of it is definitely confidence. Soon you will feel ready to take another little step because you'll think, yeah! I CAN do this!

I had, and have, bad health anxiety. I was terrified of driving for a while, because thats where my first panic attack and hyperventilation happened. I got over it through 'exposure', first small repeatable drives, then longer and longer. Finally had a 2.5-3hr drive each direction that I didn't panic on.

View the small drives as victories. You will get better.

That's where I had my first severe Panic Attack as well. That's why it is so difficult for me. It's not only the driving, it's going on Motorways as well.
    I kept trying to do journeys, but it made me so bad I couldn't even function normally.
    You are right about the small journeys. At the time, I didn't know they were Panic Attacks, I just thought I was dying. I got so bad with the fear, I couldn't even get in to a Car and had to travel blind-folded for ages and then I just built it up. (obviously someone else was driving at the time).
    I am going on Holiday soon and it is a 3 hour journey. I am absolutely dreading it!

Don't worry. I dreaded mine too.

One trick that helped me, was accepting that I might have a panic attack or hyperventilation attack, and to really believe that it won't hurt me.

So now when I drive, I do so knowing that if I have one of my attacks I pull over, get some air, and keep going.

I know your case is more severe than mine, but hopefully you can get to that point too!

Thank you JoeGomez.

Drove the Car for a whole 20 minutes through a busy Town and the rush hour! I did have someone with me, but, this is huge for me. I have only managed a few minutes in a safe zone area. My driving was relaxed and I had no symptoms at all. I did feel extremely tired afterwards, but I did it, so I can do it again.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information