Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fear of Driving Car

Re: Fear of Driving Car

Driving was an issue for me for a long while as the result of an accident hit by a drunk driver my car was written off I won't go into other details as it's upsetting but that was the start for me once I recovered. I do drive lots nowadays but saying that for the first time in a very long time I had a panic attack the other week an off all the places while driving it was awful I forgot how bad it feels anxiety an panic attacks as it has been so long. I put it down to stress an upset at the time an it stuff comes put one way or another but it has make me feel a bit consious lately of stuff x

Just an update on the 'Driving'. I did have three little drives the other day and I have to say I feel a lot more comfortable with it. I did have someone with me and have yet to master this feeling of driving on my own. I am not going to give up on this, even if it takes me years. It's not the Driving part of the Car I have an issue with, it's the fear of a crash, so I don't know how I am going to get that one out of my head?

First drive on my own today. It wasn't planned and it was more of a case of having to. I Was very nervous and talked myself into getting to my destination, but I did it. 4 miles in total and I didn't feel great, but I didn't feel awful. Just really, really nervous. No Panic Attack, just a few symptoms, but I dealt with it. So, I think I am pleased?

I am now suffering for the Drive I did today. Leg rushes, hot sweats and panicking. Trying to ignore them, but is this driving really worth the suffering you go through?
    Last edited by Carnation; 24-10-14 at 00:15. Reason: wrong word

YES. Without that, your anxiety will latch on to something else in your life and make that difficult. No matter how awful it is, we cannot let it win. When I'm feeling like I just want to give up driving, think of what it will be like if you don't drive.. Just stuck relying on other people, always having an undying fear of it about what if you had to drive sometime. Push through it Carnation!
    Now that I've gotten a little better with driving I'm starting to enjoy it again. But for months the things that got me through my struggle with it are:
    -split the journey into small sections. Here to here, there to there. I split my journey into town into 4 five minute sections.
    -pick times when you are most relaxed.
    -try different times of day and weather.
    -push yourself and then the normal driving will feel fine!

On Tuesday, when there was the left over of the hurricane up here, I drove home from uni in TORRENTIAL rain. My window wipers were on full blast, my car was rocking about all over the place and I felt empowered because I knew I was in control. It reminded me of driving in the snow as well. I was actually a lot more calm then than when the rain went off and the sun came out!

I do still get panic attacks driving, I still get a racing heart rate and hot and dizzy, but I would have that over being stuck at home! Come on Carnation we can do this

I also get panic attacks when driving, I have put it off so often, avoiding to use the car, but lately I make a big effort and go for short drives, even if it's just to the supermarket, at least it's got me behind the wheel. But I know how it feels, it is terrible. I am still terrified of the motorway and long journeys. I never wander out too far!

They are really good driving tips Kimberley, I will try and put them in to action.
    I can't believe how it has upset my Body. I am twitching like crazy today and said to my Partner that I am so fed-up with it all. (I won't say the other thing I said, but you can imagine). I even managed to lose a pound in weight yesterday from the driving. So, maybe the weight loss is more about the driving with you than the eating???
    I di go out in the Car under very stressed circumstances and probably took on too much too soon. It's now put me off because of the terrible side affects caused by the driving. I wanted to get adjusted to the car with someone with me first, but I think I jumped the gun. And, I feel exhausted. It's like I have just done a ten mile run.

Welcome, Downwardspiral, I think if you can manage the short trips for now, you are doing really well. And, you are right, it is terrifying. You might as well ask me to fly a plane. That's what I compare it to.

Pinkypants, you must know how I feel as I too was hit by someone. For the first 3 months I jumped out of my skin at the least little bang. With me, it is also the fear of the Panic Attack or symptoms that frighten me as well as being hit again. Can't even go over 30 miles an hour at the moment. The driving the Car is not a problem as you don't forget how to drive, but there are too many careless drivers on the road and that is what bothers me more.

Yes Carnation, totally agree, there are so many stupid and careless drivers on the road, they scare me, I trust no one on the road. Driving involves so many what-ifs.

And thank you for the welcome!

Although it could be possible, I am guilty of purposely restricting what I eat. I lost 2kg in a week and I wasn't even that that anxious. I was just being silly with food! Although, I have noticed that I am a little less anxious today since eating properly! Driving was fine today, I was singing away in the car and didn't have the normal physical feelings! So it is possible!! Keep us updating with your driving, I will too! Might even manage a dual carriageway again next week if I'm feeling brave!!

The driving really took it out of me as I have so many other things stressing me out at the moment, so I am going to put the driving thing on hold for the moment. My legs are still trembling from two days ago.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information