Thread: Dropping off

Dropping off

Since changing from Sertraline to Mirtz I have found a great improvement to insomnia as well as a lifted mood and , less anxiety and obsessive thinking. Insomnia was made so much worse by Sertraline and now I can get a decent night's sleep at last .....however, the only slight problem is actually getting to sleep. I understand that I may have to experiment to find the best interval between taking the med ( 15mg at the mo) and being ready to sleep. I guess everyone is different but would appreciate some success stories on this.
    My feeling is that we are fortunate to have been put on this AD as it appears to be an excellent med with few side effects so I hope everyone is doing well.
    Thanks in anticipation
    and wishes for recovery to all

Re: Dropping off

I generally take mine right before bedtime, as I usually fall asleep quite quickly (waking and not going back to sleep was a problem for me, which mirtazapine fixed). If I don't fall asleep quickly, I can get a spell of odd jolts and jerks and a restless legs feeling. This passes, but it's better that I sleep through it.

In my experience, you can experiment a bit with mirtazapine to find the dosage and dose times which work best for you. Good luck!

Thanks hanshan, I realise everyone is different and it was kind of you to reply.
    I don't seem to have a lot of luck in getting replies on here although after 5 years on the main forums I have always been given and tried to give constructive advice. I will just have to test the waters on this one on my own. Mirtrazapine is helping in other ways too should I shouldn't be too downhearted but living alone it is the small morning hours that are the most challenging . Thanks again and thanks also to "aprilmoon" who took time to reply to my last post. Be well xxxx
    Last edited by valleybear; 27-05-14 at 13:35. Reason: Word error

Hey Valleybear (good name)

Great that you have felt some really good improvements since being on the Mirtazapine!

Mirtazapine helped me loads with my sleep. I was a total wreck and hadn't been sleeping properly for a long, long time...real anxious, panic, a total mess in the night (and the day) My GP prescribed me Mirtazapine at a starting dose of 7.5mg aswell as some Zopiclone sleeping tabs 7.5mg - so I started them at the same time. I went up by 7.5mg of Mirt every week until I got to 45mg - which is the dose I am still on now. I take it every night about an hour before bedtime. Within an hour of taking it I start to feel naturally sleepy and always get to sleep now - which is a total life safer. Over a few months I gradually reduced and then stopped the sleeping tabs because the Mirt in itself was helping so much with my sleep. I do wake up in the night but I somehow get back off to sleep again - miracle.

When I first started taking the Mirt it made me feel real drowsy and like a zombie but I kind of welcomed this feeling, as though unpleasant it wasn't as bad as chronic insomnia and all that comes with it. Over the weeks these side effects went and I got into a good pattern but it took a little while.

Unfortunately the Mirt has done absoluely nothing for my depression and general anxiety, panic so after seeing a psychiatrist I was recently prescribed Venlafaxine slow release tabs - I am now on 225mg. Its early days but Iv'e been encouraged by some other lovely people on this forum that it has a good chance of helping. But, even though the Mirt didn't do much for my mood etc I don't know what I would do without it in terms of my sleep. I used to dred bedtime but now its ok. Maybe in order for it to help you actually get off to sleep you will need a slightly higher dose? I don't know but it may be worth a try. How long have you been taking it?

Hope it all goes well for you, keep us posted.

Best wishes, Gem

Hi Valleybear,

I'll try to reply if I see a post from you!

I can still feel a bit down in the early morning, but nothing like I was five years and more back. Since I know that I will pick up during the day, I do my best not to dwell on any negative thoughts at that time.

People tell do not thing negative but i am not able to understand how to stop

Hi itisok,

Are you taking any medication? For me, getting the right medication was a huge help in stopping the intrusive negative thoughts that are so much a part of GAD from starting up almost as soon as I woke up.

Now, if I get the negative thoughts it's usually just in the morning, and I tell myself they'll almost certainly wear off during the day. The important thing is not to make any decisions based on them, because they'll usually involve retreat/escape as part of the anxiety.

Apart from that, I find getting out where there are people around (eg a shopping mall, etc) helps me, but other people are sure to have other ideas.

Sorry I have been away for a week, but thanks Gemical, and I hope that your switch to Venlaxafine has helped.
    I was like you and I could have cried when Mirt gave me the first few nights of decent sleep.
    I am three weeks in now and still getting good, natural sleep and my panic attacks have completely gone. Mood is much better and my social anxiety also.
    I do worry a bit about all the reports of weight gain and fluid retention. I have not noticed an increased appetite as yet and weight seems stable. The benefits from the med are so great that I would hate to have to stop because of side effects.
    Thanks again and hope you are all doing well still.

Hi Valleybear,

It's great news to hear that mirtazapine is working well for you in a number of areas. In my experience, its effect on sleep has not diminished, even after some time.

It seems you have also avoided the weight / appetite effects, which usually show up in the first few weeks. Even if mirtazapine creates a tendency to weight gain, it's possible to counter it with more attention to diet, at least in my experience.

Glad to hear you're all doing so well.
    My anxiety is still going up and down,just trying to get on with it.
    The doc said to take diazapan up to three times a week if needed,but it seems a backward step and I haven't taken any so far.
    I feel as though my feelings are a bit 'blunted' though which bothers me,but if its a trade off for getting me out of depression, then so be it.
    Had a panic attack the other day,first time in ages,and I pushed through it,afterwards I was wiped out.
    I feel disheartened that after all this time,I'm not where I want to be,but then I always was slow to praise myself for my achievements.
    As you say,the sleep you get with mirt is wonderful.

Thread Information