Thread: Just been diagnosed with BPD :(

Just been diagnosed with BPD :(

Hi guys, so i'm pretty upset today. I had to go to hospital this morning to see a mental health doctor. I've been seeing her for a few months now and she's really good but she diagnosed me with Borderline Personality Disorder.Basically the main symptoms are anxiety, easily frustrated and difficulty forming and maintaining relationships. I'm already on Prozac and Quetiapine for it which is helping. But she said it's an extremely difficult mental illness to treat and that I'll be very lucky to even start making a recovery any time soon. She's put me on the waiting list for therapy but the waiting list is 8 months!!!!! I'm just so scared that something is going to happen between now and then :'(

Re: Just been diagnosed with BPD :(

You can do this, recovery is like a spiral, sometimes it feels like you're going in a circle and not getting anywhere but you're always getting closer to the top, even when you make mistakes or feel really low, you're gaining experience.

Try to keep your mind on what you can do towards recovery.
    My boyfriend has been in a similar situation in regards to therapy waiting lists, maybe buy some self help books to tide you over until you can get therapy?

Actually, that's a good way to explain it tbh. It does feel like a constant spiral. And yeah I was looking on the internet or some self help books. Do you think they'd sell any at Waterstones or WHSmith?

Waterstones might do, I live near a pretty small one and it has a self help section so i'd imagine most of them do.

Libraries often carry them too, and you can order books from other libraries in your area for a small fee if they don't have it at your local.

Telling you that recovery is unlikely any time soon isn't going to help you any, it'll just take away your hope. It is a long journey, but it gets easier every day once you begin to take it so I am told.

On recovery: http://www.mind.org.uk/information-s.../#.U4Sbu_ldVqU

On self help: http://www.mind.org.uk/information-s.../#.U4Sb-_ldVqU

There's a book called Overcoming Borderline Personality Disorder which a friend of mine swears by, as well as Hard to Love, Understanding and Overcoming Male Borderline Personality Disorder. Waterstones will usually order books in for you and libraries can often do the same.

As for what happens in the wait until therapy, I recommend Mind's recommendations on getting yourself a crisis plan and making a note of helplines and friends you can contact in bad times, too.

Thread Information