Thread: New palps

New palps

I've recently had ECG echo and chest X-ray all ok but 3 times in as many weeks my heart will beat really fast for a few seconds. I don't feel dizzy or sick and then it settles. Can anyone relate to this because it's really freaking me out.

Re: New palps

I think as you have had the tests you have mentioned and they are all clear I would say what you are suffering is palps, what was the reason for all those tests in the first place.

The palps I was having rapid heartbeats in the night. Had palps for years but they were missed beats or flutters then they changed to rapids but I keep getting these long runs which are really scary.

it could be SVT.....which is quite common and apparently harmless in those without heart disease

---------- Post added at 18:10 ---------- Previous post was at 18:07 ----------

does your heart all of a sudden speed up with regular (not uneven) beats?

does it sort itself out in seconds or minutes?

to stop them try stifling a sneeze or cough....this has been know to work

Yes I just goes fast all of a sudden. There's no other symptoms like sickness or dizziness though.

Hi Poppy

I think im also getting what you are getting, i too am used to the flutters and extra beats ... but i get this rush of beats can be upto 6/8 beats at a time then it goes baclk to normal .. i think they are regular as in not uneven beats just fast ones that come out of nowhere and cause a massive adrenaline rush that then puts my body in flight or fight mode, i am worried as well and i have already been to the doctor and described these to him and he said they are nothing to worry about .. i have recently had an ecg done when the heart anxiety returned that came back normal .. pulse has been checked and heart listened to and it all seems normal it just doesnt FEEL normal when my heart hammers beats out.
    Does anyone else suffer with this, i feel i can cope with ectopic beats but these rushes of beats are a different ball game altogether.
    Really do feel for you Poppy but i think i suffer it as well so it probably is part of the anxiety kick although when it happens it doesnt feel like it!

I can totally relate to this. I've had flutters and thuds and every type of palp but these are new to me too. The main thing drs told me is that they are in sinus rhythm which I think they are. Drs don't appreciate how totally scary these are. They last for seconds but for me I'm waiting for the next bout for hours later. I never truly settle. They are now happening as I fall asleep I think sub consciously I'm thinking about it so I'm going back for cbt see how that helps. Try not to worry because medics aren't!!

I seem to get them once a week I don't know what svt is or cbt I'm not up-to-date with terminology lol ... you aren't alone though and it's nice to know I'm not alone either .. if you ever need someone to talk to give me a shout it's such a lonely 'illness' to go through xx

Thread Information