Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: bone like lump back wall of throat

Re: bone like lump back wall of throat

Test

---------- Post added at 21:03 ---------- Previous post was at 20:57 ----------

I couldn’t rememember my username, but I was convinced I wrote this! I had exactly the same thing a few weeks ago, same throat anxiety. Checked with torch. 100% identical. I came to the following conclusions

When you have your head to one side, your larynx moves too, which gives the effect of a lump...

Anyway. I went to doctor. Was dismissed... so I did some thinking and realised it was probably the first time id ever touched the back of my mouth and I expected it to be spongy like my soft palate. What you’re actually feeling (I think, from reading other things) is the very back of the atlas bone in your spine. There isn’t really anything behind the posterior pharyngeal wall. Tilt your head the opposite side of the lump and see if it disappears. I think you’re just having what I was having.

I don’t have to have my head to the side to see the bump. I can just open my mouth and raise my uvula and boom there is a noticeable bump right in the middle behind my uvula. When I first found it, it was because I was getting a bunch of acid reflux and if felt like something was lodged back there. Reflux gone and so is the feeling of something g in my throat. During that time however, I went searching and found this lump. it doesn’t hurt, doesn’t affect my swallowing, no problems with it other than mentally. The picture that worried24/7 posted earlier in this thread is exactly where mine is and it feels exactly like a bone. That is why I was hoping to get more info from worried24/7 about how it all turned out. If it was from drainage or not. That is what both docs chalked it up to when I went in. I’m about two weeks deep and this thing hasn’t gotten bigger but also has not gotten smaller. Maybe it is a bone and honestly I’m not super worried about it like I first was, however I don’t think my mind will Be 100% at ease until I see an ent. Unfortunately that appt isn’t for a few weeks. Until then I will continue to monitor it.

---------- Post added at 23:29 ---------- Previous post was at 22:35 ----------

However I have seen the diagrams that you are talking about and honestly it could be exactly that. To be honest if the diagrams of tha anterior atlas bone are accurate the bump in the back of my throat is very similarly shaped. It could have been there all my life and I would have never known because I’ve never had a reason to go exploring until recently and now I wish I never did.

I apologize for digging up an old thread, but I found this from Googling around.

I have the exact same thing. A lump that appears a little whitish when fully contracting the throat to take a good look. It’s just behind the uvula and if I relax you cant really see it. It’s only until you contract and get the uvula up that you can really see it.

It’s bony feeling. Very hard. Maybe like cartilage or something.

I too don’t have any symptoms other than for some reason my anxiety is about throat right now. It changes every few weeks after I calm about one thing, another area of by body becomes the new concern. I wouldn’t have noticed this unless I was looking with flash light anxiously. I also have a very large throat and an uncanny ability to really open it up. I’ve had doctors tell me that it would be so easy to intubate me because my throat is so open. So I don’t know if that’s the same for you guys and maybe that’s why we can see this bony type thing but other people can’t.

The fact a few people here have exact same issue as well as a few others I found Googling and it presenting in exact area is encouraging that it is normal anatomy for us.

Did you ever find out what yours was? I have this same hard big lump. Noticed it two months ago. Is it something serious??

I have the same, and it has always been there, and does not change.
    If it is JUST behind the uvula and is hard as bone, I mean.
    It is just part of the neck vertebrae. Just google neck vertebrae and see how close it is to the back of the mouth.
    Try this one thing: Put your tongue on this hard lump. Keep the tongue there, while you move the head from side to side. Back to center, and now move the head up and down? The lump moves, and it is clear that it is part of the vertebrae.

Did you find out? For the past couple months, I've had post nasal drip and feeling like something stuck in my throat so I'm constantly checking and I find this bump type feeling right behind uvula and it extends down my throat. I'm freaking out

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information