Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Fish oil

Re: Fish oil

Quote Originally Posted by nedmcg View Post
    i pay about £9.00 online for it but Holland and Barrett have it for about £11.00
    Sorry I tell a lie its £8.45 on Holland and barrett and they have a penny sale on which is included so could get 2 bottles for £8.46

I don't want to spoil the party but I am very hesitant in buying vitamins and supplements on line especially through a third party as there have been cases were one is sold a copy and you really don't know what's in the jar or whatever. My own doctor warned me of that.

The rehab cardiac people told me the most important thing is to eat oily fish at least twice a week,better than any supplement, and they should know.

I can't remember the exact words my naturopath told me but it was something to the effect of Krill oil being better because fish oils can have mercury and other heavy metals (and I don't mean Metallica lol)

You are not spoiling the party, Ricardo, its a perfectly valid point. There is no reason why people can't achieve the levels we are talking about for anxiety & depression treatment by checking the EPA/DHA per kg and mulitplying upwards. Doctors tend to be telling us to aim for the RDA's which are easily achievable in diet with a few fish mealds a week but it might mean a lot more to achieve 4X+ the RDA for the things we are trying them for. So, supplements may play their part in cost effectiveness, practicality or just for those of us who aren't very fond of fish meals.

I know what you mean about supplements, you do have to be careful. For me, it can take ages to sift them them to narrow them down as I need to be very cost conscious too. There are plenty of big supplement manurfacturers to buy from if funds permit but when cost plays a part you end up sifting through the unknowns too. I look for labels and then check them when they arrive to ensure they look legit labels.

Supplements also play other roles too. For instance, doctors are hypocritical in the case of the various deficiencies since they are only really prescribing the same things, its just that a medical need was determined so they have become licenced as medications. Another one is creatine for athletic performance/strength performance since you can't physically eat enough of the meat source that comes in without becoming obese in the process. When you move into these sports markets, doctors tend to be less accurate and no pro's out there would take their advice as they simply can't achieve it through natural means alone. Serrapeptase is starting to show evidence of it's uses yet you would have to eat silkworms if you didn't have them in supplement form. It can also be easier to use & store as in supplement form they have been preserved but if you have all the time in the world and a large storage area, you can go the nature route on many things. Medical professionals can also make some strange calls, like Public Health England looking at making pizza's part of the "five a day" just to get people eating more of them...a bit of a numbers shuffle then as the rest of the pizza will be pretty unhealthy (making statistics fit?). Doctor's always prefer us to eat what we need, which is a good point, it's just not always possible and given the various "licenced" nasties they are very happy to prescribe you do find yourself questioning why they are so bothered about supplementation when it won't be giving the the side effects many medications are known to.

I remember reading something interesting a while back about how EPA/DHA are available in good quantities in meat products too. Basically, humans make very little of their own EPA/DHA but animals, because they don't eat oily fish or take supplements, have to still make enough for themselves. It was indicating that this declined due to modern farming feeds so grass fed might be a way to get EPA/DHA. Something to learn more about, I guess, since the human body may have adapted to produce less over millenia but an interesting concept considering modern farmings historic timings vs. the prevalence of mental health issues. It makes me think more about how our grandparents (parents in your case, I guess) ate a cleaner diet and how the most healthy countries in the world have been found to be so not because they eat the most fish but because they eat the most organic foods.

Certainly given your heart problems, medical advice is required.
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 31-07-15 at 07:16.

SarahH is offline Most Naughty-ish Member Ever

I tried fish oil supplements once and my anxiety went through the roof.... don't know what I was doing wrong there

An apple a day keeps the quacks away. Lol.
    When I lived on the coast I ate Mackeral and sea mullet both high in omega 3 and 6 now I have to buy frozen.I still take Krill oil once a day.

Hi, thinking of taking some type of omega 3 supplement and just wondering Terry if Tesco still sell the one you mentioned - had a brief look online but couldn't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Istherehope? View Post
    Hi, thinking of taking some type of omega 3 supplement and just wondering Terry if Tesco still sell the one you mentioned - had a brief look online but couldn't see it.
    No, at the my two local stores they haven't had it for about a year. I think they have stopped making the liquid and just do the caps now which are far lower in content. I switched to Seven Seas with a similar profile but with vitamin D in it as it wasn't too badly priced with their permanent 3 for 2 deal.

I did have a look though when it happened and I think Lloyds Pharmacy produced a product very similar to the Tesco one for £3. It was either them or Asda. It was available online so have a look. If I didn't include the Omega 3 profile somewhere in this thread, just ask because I've got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Istherehope? View Post
    Hi Joy,

I was Tesco yesterday and noticed they have got rid of my usual Seven Seas one but they have put a label on ready for the original Tesco own brand for £3, it's old price. I used to get it on the permanent 3 for 2 deal they had on so it's quite cheap.

I thought you might want to know.

Thanks Terry, and thanks for the other heads up!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information